Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2018   #1
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default First time growing

Wes, GGWT and Clear Pink Early. Very satisfied with all three. And Big Beef still a wonderful producer of 12-18 oz tomatoes if not the tastiest. My yellow/red from my seed and big pinks(Estlers ML)also unbelievable. Prob the 4th yr for Burpee's Orange Slice and they make lots of one pound fruit also. Again not the tastiest but I had one for breakfast that had ripened indoors for a week till it was as orange as orange gets with steak, hash browns and eggs. Lordy! I have a Cherokee Purple that I bought at WalMart in April and it too has surprised me. 4 stems with about 20 fruit and doing very well. A wonderful season so far here along the beautiful Ohio River. Now for the bad...we've had too much rain and early blight deloliated my 88 plants and caused loss of 10-20% due to sun scald. My sister canned 7 qts of BB and I gave her 15 lbs of mixed today so her daughter could make salsa. I'm eating them like crazy. Hope I dont get a sore lip. Garden is full of crab grass now so I have to run the push mower every week...yuk. But its all worth it. Watching humming birds every morning at dawn and my neighbors Purple Martins. Summer rocks! Or is it Martens?
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote