Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2018   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default African Dust Hits Texas

The news is making this sound like it's something new. It's not, but it is interesting. One of multiple sites https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/20...t-in-the-wind/
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering were that old sandal came from in my yard that had Tut leather works inscribed on it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #3
SpookyShoe
Tomatovillian™

Default African dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I was wondering were that old sandal came from in my yard that had Tut leather works inscribed on it.

Worth
A sandal? Meh....I don't even bother to pick up anything so mundane. I'm waiting for a gold Cleopatra necklace.

Donna, Texas Gulf Coast

Last edited by SpookyShoe; July 2, 2018 at 03:16 PM.
SpookyShoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

A program I watched on one of the Discovery channels talked at length about Saharan Dust. They said it can be found as far west as Hawaii, the Pacific Islands, Indonesia, and Malaysia.

I want a small piece of paper that tells us where they got all that gold in the first place.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
A program I watched on one of the Discovery channels talked at length about Saharan Dust. They said it can be found as far west as Hawaii, the Pacific Islands, Indonesia, and Malaysia.

I want a small piece of paper that tells us where they got all that gold in the first place.
Nubia

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #6
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

On a cruise we stopped at St. John's USVI and the guide mentioned a time when a hurricane came through the eastern Caribbean islands at a level 3 and briefly up to 4 as it was heading North East at looked to be a potential huge disaster. Some time before hitting Puerto Rico, it encountered one of the African dust storms that essentially took the steam out of it and dropped it all the way back to a tropical storm. Made me contemplate how much of everything is interconnected. We don't often see it or realize it, but, that is the case. Kinda like the story out now regarding the huge environmental impact in Yellowstone that all echos from the invasive trout species that devastated the native Cutthroat trout. The Cutthroats were shallow water fish and the preferred food of bears, eagles and other large birds of prey. The invasive trout is a deep water fish. Those predators have changed their food sources and the result has been very bad for the ecosystem.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #7
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Dwayne, ditto with wolves, deer and forests as well as otters, sea urchins, kelp and fish. Take one out and the whole ecosystem changes.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #8
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

Air borne dust has been going on for a bazillion years and has resulted in some major changes in the layout of land masses.

It's probably 200 feet thick in the Vicksburg, Mississippi area. It came from the midwestern US. It erodes freely when surface water runs over it.

Read about loess: Loess

Read about it in the US: Loess in the US
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote