Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2018   #1
encore
Tomatovillian™

Default pesticides

anyone know how long it takes for tomato plants to be affected by pesticides? all new growth are starting to get leathery and curl up, just an approximation? 2 weeks? 1 week? days? trying to pinpoint who or how this happened, 7 out of 9 plants were showing signs, one plant a rutgers already had to be pulled, now another one shows signs today, only one not affected so far is the sunsuger. the only plant in the ground is affected and that's 30 yards from the RGGS where the other plants are. thanks----tom (had to buy plants to replace all the ones i grew from seed after the 2 people who were supposed to watch them while i was gone let me down. now this happens! lol)
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #2
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Herbicides? I had a few plants with some similar damage from a synthetic auxin herbicide (2,4-D or triclopyr). They took a little while but they all fully recovered from it. I think it took a few days for the damage to show itself, but i didnt know what it was at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Depends on how fast they are growing. All new growth since application should be distorted. One being affected now, others later doesn't sound so much like herbicide.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2018   #4
encore
Tomatovillian™

(herbicide) damage probably, the neighbor had their lawn done for weed control, 2,4-D, at the end of june, i was gone until just a few days ago, same thing happened a couple of years ago thought it was from the neighbor behind me spraying her deck and siding with cleaning solution. the plants did come back but did'nt produce as much as i thought i'd get, the rutgers tomato plants must not take to the herbicide too well, it turned yellow and leaves curled right up from bottom to top had to pull it, the rest of the plants leaves are kinda thick darker green leathery and a bit curly.---tom
Old July 9, 2018   #5
nbardo
Tomatovillian™

Default pesticides

Yeah 2,4-D is probably your culprit then. Droplets can be carried by the wind during spraying. And some formulations can volatilize in the heat and drift as a gas even a day or two after it they are applied. I hope they recover for you! It took mine between 2 weeks and a month to start growing normally again, and i dont think they were hit by a particularly strong dose. Peppers growing nearby were not affected at all. I think tomatoes are particularly sensitive to it.

The symptoms were similar. A couple of regular leaf plants put out very small, twisted and thicker leaves. A Brandywine showed thick, odd shaped potato leaves where the central vein in the leaf was a very tight squiggle instead of a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by nbardo; July 9, 2018 at 12:49 PM.
nbardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018   #6
encore
Tomatovillian™

the plants all look like they will pull through, kinda worried about the brandywine red tho. think it will make it, ---tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (199.0 KB, 69 views)
Old July 10, 2018   #7
encore
Tomatovillian™

here's what the rest of the plants look like, --tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.JPG (234.9 KB, 68 views)
Old July 27, 2018   #8
encore
Tomatovillian™

well i had to pull the brandywine red, herbicides got the better of it, lol also started getting black spots on leaves and stems, so for the health of other plants i pulled it. i saved the top of one of the stems because it looked really healthy and put it in some water to get some roots and plant it back out, never know ! just might get something off of it. lol---tom