Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2018   #1
ckw346
Tomatovillian™

Default red plastic mulch

Has anyone used red plastic mulch? I have been using black plastic mulch but decided to try a roll of red plastic. planting tomato plants and weeds are growing under the plastic and raising the plastic up. anyone have any experance with red plastic.
ckw346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018   #2
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

It seems to work fine, but like you said, it lets too much light in and the weeds grow under it.

Also the birds think its a huge red ripe tomato and peck at it.

After 4 years, when I use it all up, I'll probably just use the dark green that I use on my melons. Kinda hate to give up the red color as I've had some big plants with it, but maybe it won't matter what color the mulch is.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I bought some red plastic in the fall because it was on sale and because I cannot find a source of thick black plastic around here. I was surprised that it was as thick as it was, and it seemed fine at the beginning, but now after a month, I can see some clover growing underneath and raising it up. Since I have another packet to use next year, I will lay newspaper down first to take care of the weeds.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I strongly suggest that you read this post,fromTomatoville

http://206.214.211.133/~tomatovl/sho...7831&styleid=4

Yes,I was at the conference where it was introduced, as I wrote in the above and it turned out NOT to be a great idea as I also explained.Same for the other colored plastic mulches as well.

Carolyn
Old June 30, 2018   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea. I had read that there's no advantage to using red vs black, but I just wanted a mulch to keep the moisture in and to warm the soil.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote