Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 20, 2017   #61
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Give me life in the ''boonies" any day of the week! I've done city life and country life. City life we weren't allowed to have clotheslines, limits to the gardens, I don't want to know what the neighbors are doing unless they need help.

Country life my kids can play outside, safely. I saw a segment on Good Morning America recently where a mom in a Dollar General was fighting off an attempted kidnapping of her 13 yr old daughter! All I can say is it would be a VERY BAD IDEA for someone to try to take one of my kids!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #62
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I just found out some sad/ creepy news... the mother of the 12 year old that was killed in the SUV wreck was the baby I found laying in the snow after a train/car wreck, 30+ years ago... she survived. I also found her mom about a mile from where the accident happened... she didn't make it. There's been a lot of sadness in that family over the years.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #63
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Oh that's awful pmc. Sorry to hear the sad news.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2018   #64
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

That is awful, and more tragedy in her life. Some people just get more than their share.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #65
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

We definitely had a strange experience of living in the "boonies" last night. We had a hen that consistently escaped the chicken coop and lot. She roosted in various places. I woke up about 2 a.m. All I could hear was a chicken having a fit! We also have a foster dog who has morphed into a LSG waiting for his owner to come home. He wasn't barking at all. I woke up my husband and Pap. They got the guns to go outside. The hen had roosted in a tractor well Pap had parked outside the barn. An opossum had her by the tail end trying to drag her out of the corner she had wedged herself in. We've never had possums bother any of the farm animals. They decided to shoot the hen in case the opossum had some kind of disease. We didn't want it transmitted to the flock. Then Pap and my husband went to see why Boomer was so quiet. He was facing off with a mountain lion in front of the rabbit hutches! Pap said the mountain lion took off when he and my husband arrived. Life in the boonies is interesting!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019   #66
bower
Tomatovillian™

Last week I spotted the tail end of a coyote leaping into the bushes. Pretty sure it was a coyote not a fox because the grey color is so much lighter (our "silver" foxes are pretty dark) and it was bigger than a typical fox. So I am keeping a hatchet by either door to take with me when I go out. Foxes won't bother you but coyotes have been known to attack people.

On the plus side, it doesn't look like a good season for those pesky snowshoe hares and rodents.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote