Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #91
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tips.

My heater still shut off! I was confident that it would be fine with a fresh air intake, but I don't think it ran any longer than it did with the doors closed. It was 23 last night, and everything is still ok, even my hot pepper plants.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #92
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4season View Post
I think pyrethrin or the synthetic analog permethrin will kill aphids. If I remember correctly some military clothes for jungle use are lightly infused with pyrethrin, low toxicity to mammals but bad for aquatic life.
It is only decent, it never kills all aphids, it is so irritating I stopped trying it. I use beneficial s solely now, they are expensive much much cheaper than a crop loss. I do this commercially, and this is what I have learned.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #93
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thanks for the tips.

My heater still shut off! I was confident that it would be fine with a fresh air intake, but I don't think it ran any longer than it did with the doors closed. It was 23 last night, and everything is still ok, even my hot pepper plants.
Try a wood furnace, the outside is not hot, and you can run duct the entire length of your GH to spread the heat evenly by drilling a small hole every two feet in the top of the duct, you also must partly seal the end. I use these as back up in some GH's in case a natural gas heater fails in the early spring when we start our production.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #94
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have a wood furnace. That was my original idea. But even with a blazing fire and an inflated double layer of poly, I could only get 15 degree above the outside temperature. My furnace is very big, and in an adjacent building. I might have done better with a small stove located inside the greenhouse itself.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the beneficials, though. I have aphids and whiteflies so badly that they are never going away. Controlling them is more realistic than getting rid of them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #95
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I have mine in the GH's. I get about 12 degrees in my biggest one,
about 20 in a 72 x 30, and 30 plus in a 50 x 30. Even 12 degrees is a plus,
that saves a bunch of natural gas for me. I only have them in production GH's that I fire up early, I heat water with them, and they are back up in case a heater goes down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I have a wood furnace. That was my original idea. But even with a blazing fire and an inflated double layer of poly, I could only get 15 degree above the outside temperature. My furnace is very big, and in an adjacent building. I might have done better with a small stove located inside the greenhouse itself.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the beneficials, though. I have aphids and whiteflies so badly that they are never going away. Controlling them is more realistic than getting rid of them.