Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 23, 2006   #1
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds from Italy (GrowItalian)

Just placed an order this morning on Thanksgiving Day. Very easy site to use and ENORMOUS packets of seed. Tomatoes are 200-350 seeds per pack for only 2.95. I think that I'll have plenty to share and spread around. Free pack of seed with first ten packs purchased. Reasonable shipping prices of $3.81. I got 11 huge packs of seed for $33 including shipping. They stock seed from Italian seed companies like Franchi and Puglia.

They guaranteed that my order would be shipped in two business days.

Regarding customer service: I sent a separate e-mail recommending a retail outlet nearby because they said I could win 10 packs of seed if the store placed an order. I certainly didn't expect a responce from the owner several hours later on Thanksgiving morning. These people really do respond quickly.

LoreD
Old November 23, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

LoreD-I buy from Seeds from Italy also-Bill Mckay posts here some. My wife and I love Italy, and I only grow cutting lettuces, valeriana, cicoria, mistacanza from Bill's offerings. I am growing one of his real compact paste tomatoes now in my greenhouse-its about 20 inches tall, should not get taller than 30 or so. You wont go wrong with him, in my opinion.
Old November 23, 2006   #3
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc
You wont go wrong with him, in my opinion.
I heartily second that opinion.

Great guy - great to do business with. :wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

You wont go wrong with him, in my opinion

And I agree as well.

Lore sent me a PM saying Bill said to say Hi to me since Lore had mentioned that I was the one who directed him there.

I've known Bill for many many years and he runs a good business and is as honest as they come, along with just a few others in the seed buisness that I won't name here.

So if it's specific Italian veggies that you're interested in by all means take a look at Seeds from Italy.

And I'll thank you here for the PM Lore.
Old November 23, 2006   #5
MtnMaters
Tomatovillian™

Location: East TN weedpatch.... I know I planted some tomatoes in here!

I bought several melon species from SFI this year, including Asahi Miyako F1 and Janoski, as SFI-carried Franchi was the only source in small quantity I could find. None of the A-M seeds came up, and I noticed when planting that their outer coats all seemed overly distressed and the bottom of the seed packets were full of "dust". I'm sure this came from rough pastal handling, nut when mentioned, a fresh replacement pack was promptly and cheerfully sent out, sans charge. Franchi Seeds were something new to me, hermetically sealed, double packed etc.....germination on all varieties othe than the first pack of A-M, was phenomenal!

That's the kind of quality and service they provided me with, and in turn will have my repeat business for years to come.
MtnMaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2006   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

So good we overloaded his website.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2006   #7
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

I hope he's not too overloaded because I saw some other great things on his website that I want to order.

I also have been coveting that Italian tomato processor offered by SFI-skins and seeds 125 lbs. of tomatoes per hour. I think the only thing that has kept me from canning and freezing spaghetti sauce and soup is skinning and processing all those tomatoes. I think I know what I want for Christmas.

LoreD
Old November 24, 2006   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Actually, it's not overloaded. I can't get it to work on Firefox. It works on IE6 fine.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2006   #9
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Ciao LoreD,

Amen, sister, I totally agree about the industrial seeder/skinner device-a-roonie. I'd love one of those with the generator. Mine's the ol' hand-crank jobbie job and it's fine for small batches, but I'd really like to scale up..I turn my kitchen into a sauna for 4 months of the year because along with the small hand-crank tomato press, the largest enamel pot I have is only a 5 quart, so it's LOTS of small batches and that gets way time-consuming. It's probably not in Santa's budget this year..what I'm hoping for is more modest..maybe a Lee Valley seed binder or a membership to SSE.
Old November 27, 2006   #10
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

Holy Moly, this company is fast. I ordered on thursday, Thanksgiving morning, he shipped on friday the 24th and I received my seeds on Monday the 27th. Unbelievable delivery time.

Sorellina,

A friend of mine said he had an electric one that attached to his Kitchenaid mixer and it worked great.

LoreD
Old January 12, 2007   #11
foolcontrol
Tomatovillian™

Just ordered a lot of beans.
foolcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2007   #12
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

I have to agree that Bill Mckay is the greatest! He will do everything he can to assure good service.
Sign up for his very informative Grow Italian News Letter with varieties he has grown in his garden and his experience with them. He also usually passes on some very good recipes for you to try. Good Italian dishes to share with family and friends and to "warm" the heart!
Gary
Old March 27, 2007   #13
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

I would like to make one comment about this great company. I ordered three of their tomatoes and the packets were listed as 250-350 which was just about right for my needs. I gave some away to friends but the packets still looked a little large, but I pre-soaked the whole package and ended up with 600 seeds of Paolla di Fuoca, well I put them all in and I hope I can find some people who want the excess.

Fortunately, I hadn't pre-soaked the other two tomatoes.

Word of warning: Their pack sizes are about double what is listed.

If you are planting a lot of seedlings 600-700 seeds is a great bargain for only $2.69 plus one of cheapest s/h charges around. Sealed foil packaging inside of another sealed package. I really love this company.

LoreD
Old March 28, 2007   #14
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

I've looked at their site in the past. Never dawned on me how many seeds per pack. Wonder if they'll ship to me? No harm in asking, is there?
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2007   #15
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

All of the plants are in the ground and the plants that I grew from GrowItalian are the most robust in the garden. I have questioned the people that I gave plants, and I haven't been able to find one plant that died.

LoreD