Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 25, 2011   #31
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Tania, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I've grown a lot of varieties the past two years and saved quite a few seeds. I also have a lot of seeds of varieties that are not best suited for the heat and humidity down here. I can make you a list of what I have available or you can list some that you need and if I have them I will be glad to share.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #32
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Tania,

I think I'd be cracking up at this point.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Please take care of yourself and take time to regroup.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #33
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Oh, I wish I could come give you a big hug. This is tough. I could see myself sitting there and just crying. You know if you need anything I have, it is yours. Remember it might not seem like it, but things will get better and just might be the best they've ever been once all this has passed so hang on tight for now.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #34
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this additional terrible situation.
Like others, I'll watch for a seed list. Darlene
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #35
nicky
Tomatovillian™

From the posts that i have read it sounds like you are an inspiration and friend to a lot of gardeners & have helped a lot of people over the years... Now the good will that you have shown to others is about to come back to you! Although everything has been going badly lately it must feel great to know how respected & loved you are! I am a newbie, but any seed that I can save this summer is yours. Thank you for your amazing website. I wish you the best.
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #36
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Tania,

So sorry to hear of your loss. If you need any of the seeds that I'm the original source for please let me know (seems like you're more than covered for everything else). Hang in there and good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #37
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

My seed collection can't compare to the heavy hitters here, but I'll do what I can to help make your next season a success!
Old July 25, 2011   #38
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Hang in there girl. Anything you need from across the pond let me know. Ami
Old July 25, 2011   #39
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Thats terrible. I have over bagged 40 plus varieties this year and would be happy to help you out.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #40
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Like everyone else here, Tania, what's mine is yours.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #41
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

So then, this is your fallow year. Perhaps a nice green cover crop in some of the beds to turn under and build up the soil? I can kick some in for the cost of seed....
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2011   #42
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Tania,
There are so many wonderful people here that want to help you with seeds, or anything else. Please post a list of the tomatoes you'd like, and we will try our best to fill it. I will also send any seeds that you may need. You have been an inspiration to us and we do want to help.

I, too, suffered this year, with devastating hail, but luckily the tomatoes were protected for the most part. This just seems to be a very difficult year for many of us.

Please post a list of seeds you'd like. We DO want to help.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2011   #43
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by delltraveller View Post
So then, this is your fallow year. Perhaps a nice green cover crop in some of the beds to turn under and build up the soil? I can kick some in for the cost of seed....
Now that's a good attitude to have... bring something positive out of this...
Old July 26, 2011   #44
Tania
Tomatovillian™

My dear friends,

Thank you so much for such kind responses and your offers of help, I am very overwhelmed and deeply touched.

Losing my tomatoes has been very devastating event for me, it is still very hard for me to go to the garden and see what happened. I am still grieving about the loss. This is a lost year, and I will have to reschedule the growout of the 200+ varieties for the future years. So many tomatoes I yet want to trial, and who knows how long I can do that on a large scale...

I will compile the list of the lost varieties in the next several days, once I feel strong enough to go through this. The problem is I had many new to me varieties that are not widely available, from Germany and Russia. These may be hard to replace.

Thank you so much for your love and help and support, this is truly precious.
You are the best people I have met in my life. Thank you.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2011   #45
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tania, last night I went through your list of 2011 growouts and did see many many varieties that I'd not seen before so assumed they were very rare.

Did you have any backup seeds for those?

I could see a few that I introduced that I could help with but while some are recent seeds others are older seeds and perhaps someone has more recent seeds of what I have. I also think I saw some of the ones you asked me for b'c you weren't happy with the traits of the ones you already have, but to replace them would be the same older seeds I sent to you.

Based on the two threads we put up for varieties to be sent to Adam Gleckler I'm not sure how well it's going to work with a list that you put up. YOu might indicate how many seeds for most varieties would work well for you, and also , the persons responding should by all means state the seed age, so that if someone has the same seeds that are more recent that would be best.

And everyone, I think, should respond in the thread so everyone knows what others can helop with. With the seeds for Adam, some PMed me since I'd started the thread, but honestly, PMing you is not the best way to go, I don't think, b'c then others have no idea of what's been offered to you directly. If you don't so that it means that you have to step in and say you got a PM offering X and Y, and trust me, having gone through that twice, I would n't want to do it again with the PMing.

Hope those suggstions might help.

So I'll wait until I see what your list is like rather than just looking at those 2011 growouts b'c for some, especially the rare ones, I'm hoping you can ask the same person who sent them to you initially if they have more.

It will work out, I know it will.

Tville members are the greatest!