Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2011   #1
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Default Thoughs on Culling First Fruit

Thinking back on the spring tomato season, yes it is over for us this far south especially with the June heatwave we had, I am wondering about culling the first fruit from the plant. Like most I can't wait for that first tomato. But as I think about it the first fruit are usually low to the ground, towards the middle of the plant, and don't have the best taste or structure of the tomatoes that will come later on the bush. So I am wondering about removing the first cluster and letting the bush concentrate its energies on the following fruit which are usually far better. Anyone else have thought to share on this subject?
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2011   #2
uzlaguzla
Tomatovillian™

Keith, I am north of you but have the same concerns. We don't get normal rains anymore. Always storms which have a tendency to cause the lower fruit to touch the ground.
uzlaguzla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2011   #3
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Take the tomatoes from that first set and make tomato juice and save seeds. The seeds are more likely to not have been crossed than the ones that come later when all the plants are in full bloom. The tomato juice can be used to drink or to make sauce and salsa.

Waste not - want not!!

And besides, if you cull those first ones and then mother nature decides to send a huge storm just as the second round is getting ready, you could be left with nothing for the whole year. My philosophy is to accept the plants as they are and make the best of what they give. I revel in the subtle differences in the flavors as the season progresses. I treat each visit to the garden as a new adventure.

Course, you should do what you feel is the right thing for YOU!!!
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote