Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 20, 2012   #16
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

PonyMan, that is a neat contraption you built there. Are those self watering containers or setup on drip irrigation?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #17
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Hey I like that too! Awsome job. You could wheel that around your neighborhood and probably make a fortune selling your tomatoes.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #18
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Probably need a horse just to pull it!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #19
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

PonyMan, Welcome to Tville and a very nice setup indeed. Do to the close spacing on your tomatoes I imagine you are pruning your plants to a single stem or you could end up with a jungle. For those growing Dwarfs from our Dwarf project this would be an oustanding setup. Ami
Old May 21, 2012   #20
chrisrap1
Tomatovillian™

I worked out something and because I have a small space to work with I think it will fit my needs (really great ideas thanks to all for the suggestions)......I will post some pics in the coming days
chrisrap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #21
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful set-up, PonyMan! The wheels would be great for someone who has a shady yard and wants to follow the sun.

ddsack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #22
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

When you make hole in the bottom, just get a hole the middle, put the stick n the bucket to the ground.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #23
PonyMan
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the comments and the warm welcome you guys!

I am indeed growing the single stem method on all but the last one on the far end. And I honestly have no particular reason why LOL! The pic is about 3 weeks old (the ones I've included today too), I have since pruned the plants. And JFYI this thing is too heavy to roll around with the buckets loaded. I guess I could get some help moving it if I need to do so. And to answer another question, I had a drip irrigation system but ended up changing the drippers to 1/4 inch soaker tube hoses on each plant. It seems to water more evenly? I'm new to the container growing and I have to say I love it. Next year will be better. I'm learning so much here reading the forum threads and such.

I have a small concern. The way I have the buckets set up to drain is I placed 3 small holes about 3 1/2 inches up from the bottom, spaced evenly on the sides. Thinking that there will be some "water" still soaked into the soil at that level and that way will always have some water to draw off of. I fill til they run out the side drain holes. And right now I'm watering almost daily. I have a feeling that I may be over watering this way?? Any ideas?

Thanks again for the welcome guys! Looking forward to learning more and participating in the forum and getting to know ya'll!

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GardenBench5112012 011.jpg (199.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg GardenBench5112012 012.jpg (236.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg GardenBench5112012 016.jpg (153.4 KB, 142 views)
PonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #24
elight
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure others with more experience with traditional containers will chime in, but with overflow holes that high up, I wold worry about too much water sitting at the bottom. Also, I'd worry about a lack of aeration. The good news is you can always drill more holes if it seems necessary.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #25
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I would check your water levels daily for at least 1 week, sink your finger down into the mix and see how wet the mix is. If it's too wet midday after you have watered I would say there is too much water in the mix. Then you could drill more holes to allow more water to drain out.

The goal is to have your mix drain well but to also hold enough water to allow the roots to drink when they need to. If the roots sit in too much water they will be drowned and not get the oxygen they need. Also, having too much water consistently draining from your buckets means your nutrients will wash out of them.

The next time I would put a couple inches of rock in the bottom, cover with a weed cloth and then fill with mix. This would allow the mix to drink water when it needed it and you would have less sitting in the mix while the excess drains out of the holes you drilled in the sides.

I am no expert here but this is what I would do.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #26
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

very cool setups indeed! I have several nursery bags I'm using in one area this year and was wondering the same thing, although I have peppers mostly in them which don't require too big of a support.
Old May 30, 2012   #27
Ivy123
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone,

I have a question/s if any of you return to this thread. I read on here about the grids rockporter mentioned above and I was just about to order those tonight.. Then I just seen/read Damon speak of the CRW cages he made...May I ask what CRW stands for and where I might purchase the cages/ fencing?(home depot/menards?). Also does it come in smaller amounts? Pricing?... I think thats all the questions (laugh)..Thanks for any help
Ivy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #28
johnnytwofingers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
And to answer another question, I had a drip irrigation system but ended up changing the drippers to 1/4 inch soaker tube hoses on each plant. It seems to water more evenly?Steve
Steve, where did you get those 1/4" soaker hoses? Are they designed to be able to replace a standard dripper? I need something just like that for window boxes.
johnnytwofingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #29
Mohntr
Tomatovillian™

Concrete reinforcement wire

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
Mohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #30
PonyMan
Tomatovillian™

here ya go Johnny: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_2816wt_1110
PonyMan is offline   Reply With Quote