Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 10, 2019   #2566
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Cold with some snow -10C this morning. That's as cold as it has gotten here for as long as I can remember. Only 6" of snow on the ground with about the same on its way. People here were hoping for an early spring after a mild winter but that is not happening. Going to have to make a trek to the feed store today for some more bird seed. I don't feed them uless it snows or freezes for while. I hate getting up early to put out the hummigbird syrup which I've made double strength for this weather.
I met a young fellow from New Foundand who said he was sleeping outside in this weather and doing well with his sleeping bag and all. Yikes!
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #2567
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

growingcoastal, you have hummingbirds in this weather??
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #2568
salix
Tomatovillian™

Got down to -30 C for a few hours last night... But at least it's nice and sunny, with not much wind!
Old February 10, 2019   #2569
bower
Tomatovillian™

I sure love the February sunshine! Today is 'vegetable new year' for us - ten hours of daylight, huzzah!!
I would not want to sleep out in -10 C that's for sure. We're in the low minus teens this weekend, but windchills in the minus 20's. Gusting 96 kph at the last envcan reading. Snow squalls and horizontal flurries, but we get a patch of sun now and then.
My sailor bro is here from Alberta for a few days, and he told me that when there are gale force winds, you get a streaky surface on the water in among the whitecaps - that's how it was in the bay today. Breezy!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #2570
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

3.5 inches of new snow, temps in the mid-twentiesF. About ready for peppers to start and more than ready for some warmer weather.
Old February 10, 2019   #2571
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

After a cloudy cool start to summer in Dec, Jan and so far in Feb have been warm sunny and very little rainfall, most days have been around the 30degC, warmest so far 38C. The pumpkins in the garden are loving this weather .

Last edited by Medbury Gardens; February 10, 2019 at 05:45 PM.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019   #2572
bower
Tomatovillian™

Looks wonderful, Richard!
Old February 11, 2019   #2573
salix
Tomatovillian™

That does look a treat, Richard. Sitting here looking out at moose-trampled snow in the backyard, with the temperature sitting at -33 C.
Old February 11, 2019   #2574
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I cant imagine temps that cold. The way our winters are are warming we barely getting frosts much lower than -4C, 10 years ago we would get the odd -8C, we would always get snow every winter but now we've had none for three years in a row.

By the way, those pumpkins below are in beds that have been no tillage for 17 years

An hot day coming up, suns just come up over the hills to the SE and it should warm to about 34C.

Old February 11, 2019   #2575
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I spend a lot of time in winter being grateful for a warm house, warm hubby, hot tea, & hot meals! (Also for the bank of grow lights in the basement!)
Old February 12, 2019   #2576
hill60
Tomatovillian™

For those of us on Vancouver Island our weather right now sucks. This is not unheard of but sure does not happen often.

Yesterday my area -6 C. my driveway had 8" snow 3 1/2 hours to shovel. This morning at 6:00 am at least that much again if not more and still snowing.

The City of Victoria when the rest of the Island may have snow does not get much if any and has been hit an amount I don't recall ever seeing there. I've lived on Vancouver Island 40 plus years the way this storm has come in is very different. The snow is not our usual heavy wet kind but dry and powdery.

Dry powdery snow much easier to shovel but still lot of work. GrowingCoastal, Black Bear, KarenO and the rest of Vancouver Island growers stay safe.

I'm now going to check out the Florida growers thread to cheer me up so I can ignore what is going on outside.

Hill60
hill60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019   #2577
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
growingcoastal, you have hummingbirds in this weather??
Yes, we do! The Annas stay all year. Mostly males but at this time of year the females are also around for mating. They will be nest building any day now after the snow stops.
A pic from a previous winter.
female
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019   #2578
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
For those of us on Vancouver Island our weather right now sucks. This is not unheard of but sure does not happen often.

Yesterday my area -6 C. my driveway had 8" snow 3 1/2 hours to shovel. This morning at 6:00 am at least that much again if not more and still snowing.

The City of Victoria when the rest of the Island may have snow does not get much if any and has been hit an amount I don't recall ever seeing there. I've lived on Vancouver Island 40 plus years the way this storm has come in is very different. The snow is not our usual heavy wet kind but dry and powdery.

Dry powdery snow much easier to shovel but still lot of work. GrowingCoastal, Black Bear, KarenO and the rest of Vancouver Island growers stay safe.

I'm now going to check out the Florida growers thread to cheer me up so I can ignore what is going on outside.

Hill60

I can cheer you up and post some more garden photos seeing today is going to be yet another clear blue sky day with a high low 30C

Old February 12, 2019   #2579
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Heavy rain & flooding. The flooding got personal, as our basement is now under liquid .
Old February 12, 2019   #2580
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh, sorry to hear that Nan!
I thought PA would be snowy at this time of year. Is all this rain normal?