Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 18, 2015   #46
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
If you are growing in something other than your native soil, I would expect you're okay. However, if your growing in the soil, it could be a problem. Given that I would guess none of these have any significant resistance to nematodes. Good Luck,
Larry
Very good point, Larry, since Florida, especially South Florida is completely infested.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2015   #47
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeah good point Larry and Marsha. If you are growing in containers, then as long as you are open minded to something besides a red tomato, black cherry is awesome! I grow it every season (three times a year.... spring, summer and fall). Love it for easiness to grow, great flavor and good fresh, in salads, and sauce and whatever else you can think of. My neighbor who only likes red tomatoes did not like it though... he said, is that what it is SUPPOSED to taste like?... lol.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2015   #48
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Oh yeah good point Larry and Marsha. If you are growing in containers, then as long as you are open minded to something besides a red tomato, black cherry is awesome! I grow it every season (three times a year.... spring, summer and fall). Love it for easiness to grow, great flavor and good fresh, in salads, and sauce and whatever else you can think of. My neighbor who only likes red tomatoes did not like it though... he said, is that what it is SUPPOSED to taste like?... lol.

Ginny
I adore black cherry, and I always have that one too. I have my thoughts about your neighbor, but I'll keep em to myself!
Old August 19, 2015   #49
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ok I'm in Kansas City this week with hubby. I finally saw some Kumato tomatoes at a grocery store after hearing about them for a year or more so had to try some. Hubby likes them, they are ok, not plastic, but not as much zing as I like in the home grown tomatoes. But all in all ok. I forgot to even look at the price because I couldn't believe I finally found some. They were a touch watery, but all in all not bad. Grown in Canada in Green House is what the label said.

Haven't figured out the best way to eat them... couldn't find any fresh basil so tried pesto, fresh mozz, and salame with the Kumatos but need to tweak this. Would prefer just some balsamic, fresh basil leaves and fresh mozz with them.

Anyways, sorry for the poor presentation... lol.

Barb - such a bummer the blueberry plants are not the right kind. Crazy!

I can't wait to get home for good. I'm thinking about going with a full time job in Orlando (although I'll be able to work from home) and giving up the contracting stuff so I can be home full time. Mom is doing well so far. We did a lot of research and have so far been managaing the chemo symptoms pretty well (nausea, bone pain, etc) so she is doing pretty well so far. We have her drinking tons of water to flush the toxins which seems to be pretty important in helping to keep some of the other symptoms at bay.

I miss posting a gazillion pictures on here of my garden... but it is what it is. Happy Gardening everyone!!

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 19, 2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old August 19, 2015   #50
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I adore black cherry, and I always have that one too. I have my thoughts about your neighbor, but I'll keep em to myself!
LOL... yes, I was sort of surprised, but some people just like red tomatoes and I guess that's ok too. However, he and his wife did get addicted to Sungold this past winter so I guess they aren't all that crazy... and maybe they will broaden their horizons a little more when they come back this next winter again... :-)

Ginny
Old August 20, 2015   #51
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ok I'm in Kansas City this week with hubby. I finally saw some Kumato tomatoes at a grocery store after hearing about them for a year or more so had to try some. Hubby likes them, they are ok, not plastic, but not as much zing as I like in the home grown tomatoes. But all in all ok. I forgot to even look at the price because I couldn't believe I finally found some. They were a touch watery, but all in all not bad. Grown in Canada in Green House is what the label said.

Haven't figured out the best way to eat them... couldn't find any fresh basil so tried pesto, fresh mozz, and salame with the Kumatos but need to tweak this. Would prefer just some balsamic, fresh basil leaves and fresh mozz with them.

Anyways, sorry for the poor presentation... lol.

Barb - such a bummer the blueberry plants are not the right kind. Crazy!

I can't wait to get home for good. I'm thinking about going with a full time job in Orlando (although I'll be able to work from home) and giving up the contracting stuff so I can be home full time. Mom is doing well so far. We did a lot of research and have so far been managaing the chemo symptoms pretty well (nausea, bone pain, etc) so she is doing pretty well so far. We have her drinking tons of water to flush the toxins which seems to be pretty important in helping to keep some of the other symptoms at bay.

I miss posting a gazillion pictures on here of my garden... but it is what it is. Happy Gardening everyone!!

Ginny

They look so appetizing, and I dont even eat red meat! Ginny, the best thing is the updates about your mom, I think about your family every day. There will be other gardens.
Fellow Floridians-I will start tomato seeds August 29. Counting the days. If any one of you are coming down for the swap, I have hundreds ,literally, of tomato plants. Of course many others vegs too.
Old August 20, 2015   #52
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Marsha for thinking of us... :-)

I know you get really busy during this time when you are starting all those seedlings, but if you can take some pictures along the way of the production so that when it slows down some you can post them. I cannot imagine starting that many and getting them to transplant stage and beyond. Awesome!

Ginny
Old August 20, 2015   #53
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Where is the swap taking place and when?
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2015   #54
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

October 10, from 1-5pm at Miramar Community Gardens site. Gardenhappy and her hubby will also be doing a homemade cheese making demo. Info is in the Florida-TAG
Subforum. Its free as are all the plants, just bring a dish because its a potluck.
I'll bump it now so its in the new posts.
Old August 20, 2015   #55
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - That is wonderful news about your mom and you being able to get a job in Orlando and work from home.

Ginny - Make sure you see Ginger's 2015 grow list - it is massive and so impressive. I haven't heard of many of the varieties before.

I'm in NC for the week - I started a few seeds at home and brought here to get a head start. The weather is fantastic but not enough sun so I'm OK if they take their time sprouting. I brought more to start here over the weekend. (this now seems like a better idea).

At home I opened my window covering, put a fan on a timer and moved all my fall seeds/seedlings inside. Will see how that goes - it worked last December for all the seedlings started on 12/1 . For the just planted seeds, they got too leggy. (we were gone for 10-11 days) - this time just a week.

Only the strong will survive and by the time I get back, I should have my jazz seeds to start.

---
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2015   #56
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you Marsha for thinking of us... :-)

I know you get really busy during this time when you are starting all those seedlings, but if you can take some pictures along the way of the production so that when it slows down some you can post them. I cannot imagine starting that many and getting them to transplant stage and beyond. Awesome!

Ginny
You know I will take photos and post them, of course! As for transplanting, I have help, several of the Master Gardeners are my friends, and they come buy for a "transplanting party". I bake peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies that are the bomb diggity, and I make them chicken salad to have as a sandwich, or on a salad.
One of my friends quipped, "Hey, I work for food!"
Old August 21, 2015   #57
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
You know I will take photos and post them, of course! As for transplanting, I have help, several of the Master Gardeners are my friends, and they come buy for a "transplanting party". I bake peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies that are the bomb diggity, and I make them chicken salad to have as a sandwich, or on a salad.
One of my friends quipped, "Hey, I work for food!"
Oh sounds like fun!!!

Ginny
Old August 21, 2015   #58
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Making home made sauce using Barbs recipe with some romas and some kumatos.

In our hotel room kitchen... lol.

Ginny

Old August 30, 2015   #59
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Heres my kansas city herb garden... lol. Going to transplant them tomorrow to a container and move them outside. I trimmed the second plant from the left. It didnt bounce back from being negelected at the store.

Ginny-Florida
Old August 30, 2015   #60
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Here's a picture before trimming. It wouldnt stand back up even a day or so after thorough watering.

Ginny-Florida