Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 8, 2015   #31
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Since I'm currently only doing sprays on the weekend due to my long work days, I'd prefer to combine a tonic such as kelp, and or a bug spray for worms and stinkers with excel or serenade. Otherwise, I'd be spending my weekend doing 3-4 different sprays in two days, while trying to avoid rain and hot sun.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018   #32
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Do you have a rotation schedule of weekly spraying and do you combine coppr +s Mancozeb ect. in any sprayings.
rick9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2019   #33
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

If not to detailed could you share your weekly rotation.Do you use products in combination?If so do you adjust strengths used?
Thanks
Rick
Old May 10, 2019   #34
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

Rick, My first year here I had no disease. The years since have been difficult. Last year I used Daconil, diluted bleach spray, and diluted hydrogen peroxide spray. Everything died. Could have been the disease. Could have been the spray. I'll never know.

This year I'm all about prevention: I have some mycorrhizal fungi to go in with the seedlings, followed by an Actinivote bath. Then I plan to alternatively spray each week with Daconil (until tomatoes form b/c I think it's poison), Neem oil solution, and then Serenade. I'll use copper after rain. If I do get disease I will hit it with the bleach solution. I'm convinced the bleach works and it allows you to see how bad things are b/c it kills every leaf with disease and leaves the rest. But my goal is to prevent disease and avoid the bleach.

It has been crazy wet here. I tarped my garden beds to keep it reasonably dry and expect to have a sunny day on Sunday to plant. I normally wait until Mother's day anyway, so all is well.

Good luck with your spray plan. I hope others share as I'm always up for learning.

Bret
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #35
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

I seen a lot rust looking spots on the leaves of one of my toms today and a touch on some others also.
I had seen them previously on the same plant and cut off a whole branch.
So I panic sprayed the whole lot with Dithane 945 fungicide today.
I have enough of it to last a life time but I think it has a shelf life and it is not sold here anymore really. Not new stocks due to it being fazed out
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019   #36
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Thanks
Old August 15, 2019   #37
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Just curious what you all think of the notion of aspirin (or willow bark in its more natural state) treatment of tomatoes or nightshade plants in general.

Here's what I've read:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...ant-growth.htm
(Cites USDA research as street cred)
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ost-yield.html
(Cites USDA, as well as international research and experts)

I see that the solution (250-500mg of aspirin seems like a wild range? per four gallons of water) is used either as a foliar spray or a soil drench, and it's supposed to trigger the disease-resistance in the plant. But I also saw it mentioned in the Daily Mail article to soak seeds in an aspirin solution before sowing. Has anyone tried this -- better still has anyone tried soaked and unsoaked side by side?
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2019   #38
rick9748
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for info.