Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2017   #2896
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Tomande does look pretty good on their website. Thanks, Larry. Definitely a contender for the raised bed.

This is Rebel Allience. Thank you, Marsha for the seeds. I got seeds later in the spring and decided to start it anyways. The tiny plant (less than two inches) was given a huge container on May 25. Look at it now. I have grown multifloras before, now this one is just a monster. It has only one but huge cluster on it right now.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 3.36.21 PM.png (937.5 KB, 87 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 3.36.40 PM.png (983.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-07-26 at 3.36.58 PM.png (875.4 KB, 84 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2017   #2897
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Grest photos Ella!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2017   #2898
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I agree great photos.

Larry - that's a lot of plants - I think that # is in Marsha's league.

Marsha - How was your vacation? Where did you go?

Question for all Florida gardeners: Do you have a shed? Where do you keep your gardening stuff between seasons (well during the summer)?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2017   #2899
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

You are so sweet, thank you, Marsha. Thank you for the seeds. I can't wait to taste it.
Thank you, Barb. My tools are in a garage. My car is not. hehe

Last edited by efisakov; July 26, 2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old July 26, 2017   #2900
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I agree great photos.

Question for all Florida gardeners: Do you have a shed? Where do you keep your gardening stuff between seasons (well during the summer)?
Old July 26, 2017   #2901
kurt
Tomatovillian™

All containers are dumped out where I need them in the centipede lawn.when dumped and turned over,at that time in yard they are rinsed flipped ,nuked with your favorite safe cleaner,mold,scum,pathogens can be removed at this point.I leave in sun a day or two(solarization)Then in a shady side of a shed, wood storage assembly's rack,concrete blocks turned as to not make cell cubicles for the vermins.On block put wood (PT wood)runners,stack as they came from store,all stacks away from structures,couple inches,leave spots open to seek and sort.For me here in 10b,everything and anything grows as soon as moisture comes along.In my "spring " a quick lite cleaning gets me a head start .
Down here all the granular,powders,ferts seeds etc stay inside a decent humidity,I use igloo coolers,temps.All poles,stakes,hand tools wheelbarrows are put up out of the rain/direct sun after being nuked.Old spent mediums for me are not viable for new fresh plants.
Old July 27, 2017   #2902
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Barb, Yes I am back from my vacation now. Trying to run around to do all the errands that coming home means doing. Next week I will try to get my grow list for the upcoming season together.
The animals went nuts!
Old July 27, 2017   #2903
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I agree great photos.

No, I'm not even close to Marsha's league. I have no idea how she grows as many plants as she does. I plant a lot because quite a few just don't make it. Unfortunately some varieties just don't want to cooperate at all. But then there are varieties like Esterina Cherry, which sometimes I think it would grow on a rock.
I keep garden things in either my garage or my shed. I have one of those big box store sheds that looks like a little barn. It really helps.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2017   #2904
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

How is everyone after that storm? Hope it did not do any damage.

Old August 2, 2017   #2905
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ella. I didnt get much more than some rain. This time of year we have a daily soaking anyways.
Old August 3, 2017   #2906
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

We're having a large storm right now. For all those months of no rain, it is certainly making up for it now.

This is surprising, but since I haven't watered the garden, my city water bill is $50 less per month. ($115 to now $65). I only have a couple of pepper plants left and 1 SunGold plant.

Marsha - keep us posted on your grow list. How are your Mango trees looking? Mine are so lush with this rain; the fruit (only had 20ish) Mangos this year (due to drought I'm sure) but they never turned pink. I picked about 10 and let them ripen inside - still tasted great as green. A Squirrel/rat gnawed on one so I covered the rest with Tulle and will pick when I'm done eating these.

Pineapples are done for several weeks now; They were dynamite. I have so many plants in the yard now; next year should be awesome.

I haven't been visiting TV much lately and when I do there is 560 new posts.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2017   #2907
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We're having a large storm right now. For all those months of no rain, it is certainly making up for it now.

This is surprising, but since I haven't watered the garden, my city water bill is $50 less per month. ($115 to now $65). I only have a couple of pepper plants left and 1 SunGold plant.

Marsha - keep us posted on your grow list. How are your Mango trees looking? Mine are so lush with this rain; the fruit (only had 20ish) Mangos this year (due to drought I'm sure) but they never turned pink. I picked about 10 and let them ripen inside - still tasted great as green. A Squirrel/rat gnawed on one so I covered the rest with Tulle and will pick when I'm done eating these.

Pineapples are done for several weeks now; They were dynamite. I have so many plants in the yard now; next year should be awesome.

Barb, if it's the Kent mangoes, they never get pink, just a more yellow shade of green. I just go by the feel. We have been getting daily rain, deluge.
I had 6 pineapples this year, they were amazingly fantastic.
I come on only 1 or 2 times per day now, and there are 136 posts since last on.
I will start a thread when I have my grow list finalized.
Old August 3, 2017   #2908
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

This year the rain has done a lot of damage to my garden. Only got a few Amish paste tomatoes before they started splitting. My Little Napolies were doing much better than the Amish paste but today those plants are succumbing to wet rot. This is the wettest summer I can remember for the 32 years I'm in Florida (Brooksville). My Jimmy Nardello peppers seem to like it though. Lots of peppers, and the plants look great.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #2909
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

$65 was my water bill last month, 12000 gallons. Sewer is included in that total, as are all fees and taxes. There's a minimum billing of $32, even if no water is used.

I think our water costs a lot here, but your bill look in line. How many gallons?
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #2910
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

One thing about Florida, you need to start your plants earlier, but depending on where you are, you may want to keep them in smaller pots until the root system really develops. I've learned this over the years when I got a surprise frost. March is a really iffy month. the smaller pots have a double benefit - develop root system and portability in case of a hard freeze. I've used frost blankets when caught off guard and they help - but unless your plants have a good root system they still may not survive. Removing those 'blankets' plants really look shell shocked.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote