Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 25, 2007   #1
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Default Mr. Craig at Heritage Harvest Festival

oooh!

I dont even know how I stumbled upon this link yesterday, but wow! Im looking for a reason to take a trip, and Id love to go to SSE's Decorah, IA, or Baker Creek's MO, but I dont know what else there is to DO (fiance is less a garden fanatic than I am) www.heritageharvestfestival.com

So, why not Monticello?

Last edited by garnetmoth; March 25, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I was planning to go to this too. It's pretty close for me though.
Old March 25, 2007   #3
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

I will be going as well. Probably with Shellybean. It is about 3 hours from here, and not far from where my daughter lives. Such a beautiful area!
Carol
caascher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2007   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

WOW. That should be one nice event.

My wife and I stopped at Monticello last year on our way home from Tomatopalooza.

It’s a great place for learning a lot about Thomas Jefferson and also about life in general in that time period.

The gardens were in fine form last year and we were fortunate enough to get on the good side of one of the garden guides. The guides are given the harvest each day and our ‘new best friend’ shared some great tasting tomatoes and peaches with us. There’s nothing better than a fresh picked tomato, but that peach, just picked from the tree, was a taste to remember.

The Heritage Harvest Festival looks like it will be a fabulous time. I wish Deborah and I could go but will have to pass.
Old March 25, 2007   #5
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Will pencil this one on the calendar. Maybe I can hitch a ride with Shelleybean and Caascher2. Of course they are also welcome to hitch a ride with me for the trip to Tomatopalooza!
Old March 25, 2007   #6
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Where in Va are you gardenmama?
Carol
Old March 25, 2007   #7
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Carol-
Pretty close to you and Shelley in beautiful downtown Kempsville (Va Beach).

Last edited by gardenmama; March 25, 2007 at 10:15 PM.
gardenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #8
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Wow! I may try to go too! I'm pretty sure I could get a long weekend off, and my sister in law lives close to that area....hmmmm....maybe a September road trip is in order!!!!!

Thanks for the link!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2007   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Carol, I guess I didn't mention to you that Martha's last name is the same as my mom's maiden name. We tried to see if there was a connection between her husband's family and my mom's but we were not able to come up with anything. And Carol is my sister-in-law. Our husbands are brothers. Anyway, I like the carpooling idea for both Charlottesville and Raleigh if you guys are up for it.
Old March 26, 2007   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Carol and Martha, I just thought of something else. Martha, didn't you mention in the thread about Grub's daughter that you're an L&D nurse? Carol is a nurse too. Now a nurse practitioner. Small world.
Old March 26, 2007   #11
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Since our conversation is beginning to drift from the original topic.....replying to Shelley via PM
Old March 26, 2007   #12
caascher2
Tomatovillian™

Nice meeting you gardenmama. We will definitely all have to go the festival in Sept.
Carol
Old March 26, 2007   #13
gardenmama
Tomatovillian™

Nice meeting you too, Carol. Here's to a great summer of Va Beach tomatoes!!
Old March 26, 2007   #14
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and Monticello

HERITAGE HARVEST FESTIVAL
Monticello’s Tufton Farm
Saturday September 8, 2007
10am - 4pm

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is happy to sponsor the Heritage Harvest Festival. Come explore the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants at at Monticello’s Tufton Farm, learn from national experts and local natural/organic growers, and take home seeds, plants, garlic, apples and other produce from local growers and the extensive collection of the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants.

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, organic heirloom seeds, open ... - Seed-saving organization offers many varieties of heirloom and other open-pollinated vegetables that grow well in the southeastern US.
www.southernexposure.com/
Old March 27, 2007   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is happy to sponsor the Heritage Harvest Festival. Come explore the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants at at Monticello’s Tufton Farm, learn from national experts and local natural/organic growers, and take home seeds, plants, garlic, apples and other produce from local growers and the extensive collection of the Thomas Jefferson Center for Historic Plants

Aha, I should have paid more attention to the e-mail confirmation address at the site titled Monticello b'c I got the wrong impression that Monticello was sponsoring this get together and they aren't.

The expertise for most of what's planned does not rest with Monticello and it's clear to me that recs were suggested primarily by those who have been associated with SESE now or in the past.

Craig, you'll have an interesting time up there, of that I'm sure. And I'll PM you to remind you about a few things having to do with some of the presenters, but something tells me you already know.

No folks, what I have to say to Craig is definitely not for public consumption as in posting it here or anywhere online.

it's just after years and years in this area of heirloom varieties one gets to know quite a few folks in that field as Craig and I both do.

And the rest of you should have a great experience there as well.