Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 1, 2019   #1
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Default Shuksan Strawberry...and what is a reasonable price these days?

I've been on the hunt for this variety for the last year.Grew them years ago here in Ore before we went to the PI in 2007.

Weeks Berry Farm had them listed on Ebay late in the season last year,but when I contacted them,they responded that their shipping season was over.I mailed them a week ago thinking that I would get a head-start on an order,and they finally responded today,saying that they had dropped this variety,and that their secondary supplier had dropped it as well.

Ok.So,I found them on 2 nursery websites.One in Oregon and the other in Wa.I know it is a "what is it worth it to you" decision,but $30 for a bundle of 25 plants just sticks in my craw.I messaged some of the sellers on Ebay,but so far no one else offers them.

I may have to settle for a lesser (to me) variety and be happy with it,but if anyone sees it offered elsewhere would you be so kind as to remember me?

Thanks.

Last edited by Tropicalgrower; February 1, 2019 at 10:24 PM.
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2019   #2
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Raintree Nursery up in Wa is offering them much lower in cost, mail order or at their garden center.

A quick call to the Horticulture Dept at Wash State Univ. or Oregon State might be able to hook you up with a local source. I find most colleges can recommend a list providers of various local goods and services and are happy to do so without steering towards a particular company.

The Hoods sound yummy too. I was looking into them when dd went on vacation but she wasn't interested

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2019   #3
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the response ...and the suggestions Lisa.
I will follow up on contacting the local educational resources.That is a very good idea.

I don't fault a biz for trying to make a living,but $17+ for shipping a bundle of strawberries...egads,doesn't seem right.I saw the offerings at Raintree and Burntridge,but both are well out of range for me.One Green World in Portland has them reasonably priced (all things considered) but again,out of range.I do have a friend in the area,but he suffers from Agoraphobia,and although he might be willing to brave it,I wouldn't put that on him.

Wasn't so long ago,that the wife and I would hop in the car and round trip Portland (240+miles 1 way),but these days all the pit stops add too much time to the trip.

Sux getting old.