Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 3 Hours Ago   #8686
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
One of my all time favorite dressings is tahini with lemon juice, soy sauce and garlic. Simple but so rich and delicious. I don't know what it is about the old country foods but they really resonate with me.
Bower, what you described (tahini+garlic+lemon juice, without the soy sauce) is a very famous and popular Lebanese dressing we call "taratour." We use it on MANY Things:
1) Shawarma
2) falafel
3) char-broiled fish
4) the base for hummus (chick peas) and baba-gannooj (char-broiled eggplant)
5) appetizer dip dressing with boiled lima beans, swiss chard stems...
6) plain

I usually make a large batch and keep some in the fridge. It's really addictive.
taboule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Hours Ago   #8687
bower
Tomatovillian™

Taratour - thanks Taboule! I've been eating it for nearly forty years and didn't know it had a name.

Every middle eastern food I've ever eaten has been delicious. Falafel is another one which I really love. I don't have a good recipe though! Please share.
I recall I bought a box of "falafel mix" at some point and although I followed the directions it didn't come out as it should at all. Surely I could do better from scratch?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote