Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 4, 2019   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default 2019 Muddy Bucket Recovery Pictures

I will be adding pictures here to show the wonderful people who sent seeds to help mitigate my disaster.

Here's the first one and is for Biscuitridge. Dan, here is "5.63" today. The one on the right seems taller, but this is really a case of the one on the left got placed slightly deeper than the one on the right. Tomorrow they get a new place to live in 4 gallon buckets (food grade from the local pizza shop).

DSCF0020.JPG

DSCF0021.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

For the following folks, below you'll find pictures of my efforts on the seeds received in the recovery. I cannot find the words to express my appreciation for your generosity and concerns.

eyegrotom
Patihum
seasyde
Salsacharley
Oakley
sjamesNorway
akgardengirl
crankyoldfart
MdTNGrdner
retiree
RajunGardner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0022.JPG (220.7 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0023.JPG (202.2 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0024.JPG (236.4 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0025.JPG (281.1 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0026.JPG (277.2 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0029.JPG (224.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0031.JPG (224.0 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0032.JPG (216.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0033.JPG (201.7 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0034.JPG (209.2 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0035.JPG (266.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0036.JPG (249.3 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0037.JPG (254.5 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0038.JPG (260.2 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0039.JPG (255.8 KB, 156 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 6, 2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old May 6, 2019   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

everything is coming along really well Ted! Glad to see the KARMAs and the True norths back in the lineup
I think everything will catch up and do just fine

Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #4
loulac
Tomatovillian™

I’m glad to see disaster has been avoided. I can’t help making some comments on the pictures :

I notice different shades of grey in the soil. There can be different kinds of mix or a lighter grey means lack of water. The roots of some seedlings may not have reached the bottom of their compartment and need watering on the surface. Later of course half an inch of water under the flat will solve the problem;

I think the seedlings might need a bit more light. Why not lower the lightning while checking the temperature to avoid roasting the seedlings ?

To catch up lost time it’s always possible to boost them with a lot of strong sunlight, a high temperature, water and fertilizer. The accident will be forgotten.

I suppose you won’t throw away the labels. If you drill a hole at the top you can tie them to each pole. I used to carefully collect mine in alphabetical order at the end of the season to use them again the following year, now I clean them with acetone and a cotton swab, they are as good as new and labeling became much faster.
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Very glad to see you're back on track to a successful season!

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2019   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
I’m glad to see disaster has been avoided. I can’t help making some comments on the pictures :

I notice different shades of grey in the soil. There can be different kinds of mix or a lighter grey means lack of water. The roots of some seedlings may not have reached the bottom of their compartment and need watering on the surface. Later of course half an inch of water under the flat will solve the problem;

I think the seedlings might need a bit more light. Why not lower the lightning while checking the temperature to avoid roasting the seedlings ?

To catch up lost time it’s always possible to boost them with a lot of strong sunlight, a high temperature, water and fertilizer. The accident will be forgotten.

I suppose you won’t throw away the labels. If you drill a hole at the top you can tie them to each pole. I used to carefully collect mine in alphabetical order at the end of the season to use them again the following year, now I clean them with acetone and a cotton swab, they are as good as new and labeling became much faster.
Yes, they DO need more light. I'm moving them all out to the garage this week. And YES they do have two kinds of mix. The lighter colored is from Jiffy mix and the darker one is the Jiffy plugs. The plugs are more dense and give that gray-ish appearance.

I place the labels in the growing medium just beside the plant. They don't get re-used and they do fade by the end of the season. They are for the 5 or 6 weeks just after planting out when I'm verifying the plants for "True to Type". I'm also making a firm listing of what variety is where in the garden. This listing goes into an Excel spreadsheet for the current season. It helps me to rotate my crops and make sure I don't use up the nutrients by growing the same thing year after year. It is also why I mark most items of my harvests with the location (i.e. 7-16 on a tomato would indicate row 7 and plant 16). With that info, I can verify correctness by referring to my spreadsheet lists. Also, the little labels are a quick reference to verify "True to Type" in the early stages of growing.

Thank you for your concerns and good advice, but what you see in this year's picture is temporary. I had to dismantle my usual setup which has 11 light units that are down within about 3 inches of the foliage. I know that this year's setup will get the seedlings up and then they get moved to the garage and the process of hardening them off begins immediately.

Bonjour
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; May 9, 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old May 10, 2019   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Here's a couple pictures of other varieties that are also coming along

For retiree, here is Grandma Frieda's. 6 out of 6 in three days.

DSCF0105.jpg

And, also UK2000. Thanks, Doug. These pictures courtesy of Mcsee.

UK2000d.jpg

UK2000a.jpg

UK2000b.jpg
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old May 10, 2019   #8
retiree
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks

Thank you Ted.

Very nice.
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree View Post
Thank you Ted.

Very nice.
Drumroll please. Ratatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatatat BAM !!!

This morning we were up early to greet the newest member of the 2019 Seedlings Family - Tekins Bulgarian Pink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0006.JPG (244.2 KB, 73 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch