Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2014   #16
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Jim, here are some Red's I've grown That I liked very much as did others.

Ashleigh
Linda's Faux (Akers West Virginia PL)
Gildo Pietroboni
Guido
Indiana Red (Heart)
Neves Azorean Red
Oleyar's German

This year I'm going to try Brandywine Red PL sold by TGS. They are all listed in
Tatianna's Tomato Base with seed sources for them.

Ami
Old January 15, 2014   #17
ExpendableZero
Tomatovillian™

If you want taste, I suggest trying some black tomatoes. I started out with several dying (brown) heirlooms they were trying to get rid of ($1 each) at home depot. I believe they were german queen and red beefsteak. I managed to save 3 of the 4, and they reminded me of a taste I hadn't experienced since my grandmother died in the 80s. The next year I went back and got two of every heirloom home depot had. The one that stood out was cherokee purple. It has been growing in my garden for the last 5 years. Black Krim and Chocolate Stripes have also become favorites.

I have not had any luck with brandywine so far.
ExpendableZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #18
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Finding goodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
OK Jim, we're back to similar to Red Brandywine and I ask the same questons again.

Taste can't be a criteron since taste is personal and perceptual and many uncontrolable variables are involved.

So how about leaf form, plant habit, fruit size and color and a midseason variety or later.

As much as I love Neves Azorean Red and OTV Brandywine and Aker's West VA and Chapman and Red Penna, and Cuostralee, etc., their fruit size is much larger, days to ripe fruits generally later, plant habits would be the same and not all have RL foliage and about the only way that they are similar is that they have red fruits.

So please help us by defining what specific attributes you're looking for.

Carolyn
I just started researching tomatoes that Carolyn or others mention. As for Caroyln, she has shared alot of info, you can find the posts pretty easy.
Now, I have a big pile of new seeds going in Smart pots this year
And... thanks Carolyn for sharing your knowledge, you save some of us alot of time, and so far, I love the tomatoes, I have tried, that had your hand in creating, working the line, or distributing.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #19
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Franchi Red Pear and Cour di Bue which is a Oxheart are really great old taste. Not much juice like Branywines.
I just buy this 2. I did grow them for 3 years, my old Italy friends love them. I did not save seeds, i though i had seeds. Here is the website in USA, nice people.
http://www.growitalian.com/products/...page=2#reviews
Attached Images
File Type: jpg franchitomatoes.jpg (1.23 MB, 60 views)
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

One of the reasons that I tried so many red tomatoes in the past few years was because reds generally perform better during the heat of summer than pinks. As a result I plant most of my pink slicers earliest followed by yellows, reds and last but not least the blacks many of which perform the best in the heat of mid and late summer. In my trials of reds I found that finding really tasty ones was fairly difficult while it is fairly easy to find great pinks that meet my taste preferences. Below are the better tasting reds that I have found and I try to plant them every year.

Neves Azorean Red
Zogola
Lumpy Red
Druzba
Donskoi
Fish Lake Oxheart
Tarasenko-6

I'm sure there are many more excellent reds but these were the ones that performed the best for me and had the flavor I was looking for. Below are reds that I also like but they are not my very favorites for one reason or another. I try growing at least a few of these each year.

Akers West Virginia
Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red
Bella Rosa
Big Beef
Break O' Day
Milka's Red Bulgarian
Moreton
Mule Team
Nepal
Old Virginia
Olyer's German
Ramapo
Red Barn

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #21
uno
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Carolyn, Ami, ExpendableZero, AkMark, Filmnet, and B54Red.

Carolyn

Any tomato about the same size and red or pink would be good.

Ami

I was thinking of trying the PL version also. Most people seem to like the RL better but other PL tomatoes like Brandywine Sudduth do well for me here. And TGS I have ordered from many times in the past and they always sent me good seeds. I would definitely buy from them again.

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno View Post
Thanks Carolyn, Ami, ExpendableZero, AkMark, Filmnet, and B54Red.

Carolyn

Any tomato about the same size and red or pink would be good.

Ami

I was thinking of trying the PL version also. Most people seem to like the RL better but other PL tomatoes like Brandywine Sudduth do well for me here. And TGS I have ordered from many times in the past and they always sent me good seeds. I would definitely buy from them again.

Jim
At TGS where you see Red Brandywine and under it there is a choice of RL or PL, neither of those are Red Brandywine.

They were received by Linda, who owns TGS, many years ago I think from Seeds by Design in CA.

Other places got those wrong RB's as well, one was Mike at Victory Seed and another was at Tomatofest when they were offered on sale one time. Both places pulled them ASAP.

I've asked Linda many times to delete those two b'c of the confusion it causes, but she says that many people like what they are, and it isn't known what they are except they aren't Red Brandywine, with which she agrees, last I knew,so she continues to list them.

She did go to the Landis Museum in PA to get a real Red Brandywine and that one was listed as Landis strain, although there are no strains of RB, it's just the place she bought it, as I think I mentioned above.

Carolyn
Old January 16, 2014   #23
Larry636
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

One of the few new to me varieties I am going to try this year is Red Brandywine because it is one of those tomatoes that gets good reviews from most gardeners. I hope I can graft it to a hardy rootstock that will give it better resistance to fusarium and nematodes down here. I love Neves Azorean Red but it has been one of the more difficult varieties for me to successfully graft; but I hope to get a few good ones this year.

Bill

Bill Hi

I will be trying to graft Brandywines to various root stocks soon. I'm not sure I can pull it off due to age related benign tremors. Assuming I am able, I'm still struggling to decide how best to heal the plants after grafting and was wondering how you approached this?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Larry
Larry636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2014   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry636 View Post
Quote:

Bill Hi

I will be trying to graft Brandywines to various root stocks soon. I'm not sure I can pull it off due to age related benign tremors. Assuming I am able, I'm still struggling to decide how best to heal the plants after grafting and was wondering how you approached this?
Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Larry
Hi Larry,

I just started my seed a few days ago because of the extreme cold so I am getting a latter start than last year. My greenhouse is unheated and we've had several nights in the 20's since then so I'm not so sure how my germination will go. I may have to do some reseeding and be even later.

As to your question, I am still trying to figure out the best method. One thing I know for sure not to do is not to water the rootstock before grafting because of the moisture at the graft joint from the watering will cause damping off while in the healing chamber. I had my best results by putting the plants in the healing chamber and not misting the plants inside but misting the sides and top then closing it up and blocking off any light for a day or two. I am going to try several different ways this year and see if I can find one that is better than the others. I did have more luck using moist DE in the cups as opposed to potting soil because it cut down on damping off issues at the soil line. I like to open the containers to let in fresh air a couple of times each day until about the fifth day when I leave it cracked and gradually open it more. Once the plants seem to be holding up okay I move them in the afternoon where they can get a bit more sunlight then gradually as they toughen up I will move them outside to harden off.

I have some problems with grafting also but mine are due to arthritis in my hands; but some days I can work a while without it messing me up too much. Some of my ugliest grafts healed better than some of the ones that I thought were perfect so I just plant a lot of seeds and try not to worry about all the grafts that don't make it. I have found it a lot of fun and I like the anticipation seeing how different varieties will be affected by the grafting onto different rootstock.

Good luck with your grafting and since you are way ahead of me let me know which rootstock varieties that you had success grafting with Brandywine.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote