Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 17, 2013   #1
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Current tomato as bird bribe

I'm sitting in my living room looking out my patio door to where I have a Red Current tomato in a container, sprawling over the edge and onto the patio floor.

I just watched a Mocking bird swoop down and pluck one RC tom, gulp it and fly away. I've watch it do this several times over the day. I had some tomato damage on my bigger ones until the RCs ripened. Now they leave the big tomatoes alone and just eat the RCs.

I planted the Red Current two years ago, and ever since I get several volunteers around the yard. I just let them grow where they want if they're not in the way.

I've also seen rabbits eat them, and ignore the larger tomatoes. However all my other tomatoes are in 15 gallon pots, so it's a bit hard for the bunnies to get to them. So ymmv.

But it does seem to work for the birds. And as far as "encouraging" the birds, that's a done deal, Mocking birds are thick around here, can't really get away from them. So if they prefer the Red Current, which they seem to, that's great. Especially as they are not a big favorite with me. Taste good, but too darn tedious to pick. A useful weed.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #2
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Cannon fodder tomatoes!!

Well, if the tomatoes they're sacrificed for are better tasting, it seems like a great idea. Just hope word doesn't spread and you end up one day with a line of animals looking for the buffet.
Old July 18, 2013   #3
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

This is part of why I feed wildlife-they don't bother my plants.

Last edited by Deborah; July 18, 2013 at 03:34 AM. Reason: I love mockingbirds-a free concert every night !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #4
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post
Cannon fodder tomatoes!!

Well, if the tomatoes they're sacrificed for are better tasting, it seems like a great idea. Just hope word doesn't spread and you end up one day with a line of animals looking for the buffet.
Animals are clever, and know on which side the toast is buttered...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote