Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 15, 2014   #1
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Default KBX catface and pics

Hello all, I haven't signed on in a while, but have been keeping up and reading the different threads. So much knowledge on this site. I have had a pretty good crop of tomatoes this year. I have been harvesting off of 16 plants for while and have 24 plants that are just starting to ripen. Total of 40 plants and 8 different varieties. I have had a battle with army worms this year. Have fought them with BT with some success. Did have to spray some Sevin a couple of times, when I went to long without using BT. Here are some pics.

Most of my plants

These are a hybrid beefsteak that I got the plants from a commercial grower.

These are Brandywine Sudduth (best tasting tomato I have ever tasted) that were transplanted the first week of September. I have harvested many tomatoes off of these 8 plants and have many more on them. Next crop I will get some taller stakes. These plants would be 10' tall if I had a taller staking system. They are showing signs of blight and our windy 40 degree days did damage some of the foliage. Predictions for Friday morning is 30 degrees for about 4 hours.

These are my celebrity plants. Haven't harvested any off these yet.

Here is one of my Brandywines.

Here is one of my Indian Stripe.

I have (2) KBX Kelloggs Breakfast plants. This is one of the tomatoes. I have quite a few on these plants that are badly catfaced as you can see. I do get a few Brandywines like that. I haven't researched it like I should, but would sure like to know what you experts think about it. Is there any thing I can do to minimize it? Or is it just a trait with some varieties? Thank you,

Mike

Old January 15, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

It looks to me like it came from a fused blossom and not cat facing per se. If I can find the thread about cat facing I'll link it here.

These two weren't the one I was looking for, but i think you will find them interesting.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=5438

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29974

Last edited by Doug9345; January 15, 2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: to add the links.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #3
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Your tomato plants look terrific. I have had problems with KBX, also.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2014   #4
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Yea Doug, Sorry! I meant to also mention that in my post. Some of my first fruits on different varieties have had fused blossoms. Sometimes they will ripen and be good to eat, but most of the time they rot in the dark spots before they ripen.

Thanks Tom.

Mike
Old January 16, 2014   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

From what I have learned fused blossoms can occur from low temperatures or herbicide drift which I think is not the case with your plants. I never had that problem with my KBX's and am wondering who was your seed source for your KBX's?

Ami
Old January 16, 2014   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...tomato+contest Two good things I see about this post,the website maladys (image uploads)have been corrected and you might be able to get in the "Ugliest tomato contest for 2014"if one is posted this year.

Last edited by kurt; January 16, 2014 at 08:21 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post

These are a hybrid beefsteak that I got the plants from a commercial grower.

The tomato plants and fruit shown in this photo are most interesting.

Can you tell us what variety these are, and where they are available as seed or transplants?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm. Potato leafed? Yes, those would be interesting to grow, very nice looking plants and fruit. I too, would like to know the name of this hybrid variety. Is Brandyboy a PL?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2014   #9
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Hello Travis and Dee,

These plants were given to me by a friend that works for tomato grower in Florida. I asked what they were. All he is allowed to tell me is that they are their own beefsteak type. They were bred by their company and are grown only by their company. I was asked to not share the name of the company. I haven't tasted any of these yet but as you can see it will not be long. They also have their own grape tomato, which I grew last year and they were the best grape tomato I have ever tasted. I also have a large beefsteak of theirs that the plant and the fruit are growing large like the Brandywines. I will take a pic of one of the fruits that i just picked and post it later.
Old January 16, 2014   #10
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...tomato+contest Two good things I see about this post,the website maladys (image uploads)have been corrected and you might be able to get in the "Ugliest tomato contest for 2014"if one is posted this year.

"Two good things"?!?!?
Old January 16, 2014   #11
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Here is the other hybrid that I was referencing.

Here is another pic of the fused blossom tomato. I weighed it today and it is 2 lb 10 ox.
Old January 16, 2014   #12
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Did not mean to offend.This site was having some upgrades done and uploading att./images were a problem for a couple days there before you posted.Looks like all is well now.
Old January 16, 2014   #13
mikej
Tomatovillian™

Not offended! I was confused because I did not know if I was suppose to be offended or not.

We have freeze warnings here for tonight. Some say 30 degrees for 4 hrs. I hope not. Too much time invested in those plants. I do have my soaker hoses running and will be all night.
Old January 17, 2014   #14
emcd124
Tomatovillian™

I had a similar problem with KBX last year, it was the only tomato that consistently was disformed. Eventually a chaulked it up to the variety.
emcd124 is offline   Reply With Quote