Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 4, 2015   #1
charline
Tomatovillian™

Default 3 cotyledon

I have a georgia streak seedling with 3 cotyledon. What does that mean for the plant and for the tomatoes?
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Nothing really but maybe more branches from what I have seen.

In nuts like pecans the seed inside will be three pecans in them instead of two.
This isn't conducive to modern shelling machinery so it will cause them to bring a lower price.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have had a few triple's and i have not noticed any difference in production or growth. It is neat when it happens though. All you can do is grow it and see what it brings.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

It will bring the plant good luck
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #5
snugglekitten
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
I have a georgia streak seedling with 3 cotyledon. What does that mean for the plant and for the tomatoes?
It is not a monocot, nor a dicot, but a tricot!

snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
It will bring the plant good luck
Yeah, basically a 4 leaf clover type thing.

Simpsons fish
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Must live around a nuke plant.
Worth
Old March 4, 2015   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Be sure to save some seeds from fruits that appear on the plant since the tricot appearence is not always genetically stable, which I know from others who have had tricots and one person actually had a quadcot.

Carolyn
Old March 6, 2015   #9
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Be sure to save some seeds from fruits that appear on the plant since the tricot appearence is not always genetically stable, which I know from others who have had tricots and one person actually had a quadcot.

Carolyn
They had a what? Hope they are feeling better now.

If we are talking Plant Kingdom, cotyledons are Greek, and your person grew a tetracotyledonous seedling. A tetracot!
(Unless they had a bovine quadruped when they saw it)
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRedHeart View Post
They had a what? Hope they are feeling better now.

If we are talking Plant Kingdom, cotyledons are Greek, and your person grew a tetracotyledonous seedling. A tetracot!
(Unless they had a bovine quadruped when they saw it)
Uno, dos, tres, quattro, as in "Q"etc.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=meaning+of+quad

I stand firm on what I posted as in quadcot.

The university I went to had many quadtrangles, four sided, for sure.

Carolyn, who notes that you might like tetracot, but in the tomato world, at least, all I know refer to them as quadcots, see Google search above.
Old March 6, 2015   #11
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Uno, dos, tres, quattro, as in "Q"etc.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=meaning+of+quad

I stand firm on what I posted as in quadcot.

The university I went to had many quadtrangles, four sided, for sure.

Carolyn, who notes that you might like tetracot, but in the tomato world, at least, all I know refer to them as quadcots, see Google search above.
Google as a reference?
See here, if you're standing firm, that's great news
Here's an interesting peer-reviewed figure of polycots including a tetracot, explained away with the "defective embryo and meristems (dem) mutation:

Reference:
Keddie et. al., The Plant Cell Journal, Transposon Tagging of the Defective embryo and meristems Gene of Tomato paper

Quadrangles, from the latin root word of angle, does not mean four sides as much as four angles ... though one goes with the other. Four sided is quadrilateral or if you are a Bruce Lee fan like me, maybe a tetragon.
A cow is a quadruped but it is a tetrapod.
Humans are dipody, not bipody, but we are bipeds. Photographers use monopods, and dipods, not unipods nor bipods... out of respect for ther ancients...

And more to the point in tomato genetics, they're polyploid (Greek-Greek) not "multiploid" (A chimera). Flowers (flora) from Latin can be multiflor, not polyflor for the same reason.

Just for fun, chimera is Greek, hybrid is from Latin hybrida. Multiflora is Latin, but Polyanthus is Greek, both mean multiple flowered, but there are no polyflora or multianth...
Hope that helps

Last edited by FLRedHeart; March 6, 2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Plural of anthus? (plural & singular? multianth... no such beast LOL)
Old March 6, 2015   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Google as a reference?
Here's an interesting peer-reviewed figure of polycots including a tetracot, explained away with the "defective embryo and meristems (dem) mutation:

Reference:
Keddie et. al., The Plant Cell Journal, Transposon Tagging of the Defective embryo and meristems Gene of Tomato paper

Quadrangles, from the latin root word of angle, does not mean four sides as much as four angles ... though one goes with the other. Four sided is quadrilateral or if you are a Bruce Lee fan like me, maybe a tetragon.
Humans are dipody, not bipody, but we are bipeds. Photographers use monopods, and dipods, not unipods nor bipods... out of respect for ther ancients...

And more to the point in tomato genetics, they're polyploid (Greek-Greek) not "multiploid" (A chimera). Flowers (flora) from Latin can be multiflor, not polyflor for the same reason.

Just for fun, chimera is Greek, hybrid is from Latin hybrida. Multiflora is Latin, but Polyanthus is Greek, both mean multiple flowered, but there are no polyflora or multianth...
Hope that helps
Where's the like button!!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2015   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Google as a reference?

Reference:

Hope that helps
I do hope we can agree to disagree, I think that would be best.

I have four years of Latin behind me, Greek not so much,which helped considerably for those like myself who ended up teaching med students as well as being involved in scientific research.

http://iai.asm.org/content/26/1/254.full.pdf

Polyploidy? Yes, I have several links in my faves but no time to go searching for those now b/c there are a total of about 2K entries.

Google Searches? Yes, I do trust Google when searching for specific information that I can't find elsewhere, usually peer reviewed. I was a peer reviewer for the journals of Infectious Diseases, Virology and Journal of Bacteriology.

Marsha ( Ginger), good thing there isn't a like button here at Tville, as I see it, and more specifically for this issue.

Carolyn
Old March 6, 2015   #14
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I do hope we can agree to disagree, I think that would be best.

I have four years of Latin behind me, Greek not so much,which helped considerably for those like myself who ended up teaching med students as well as being involved in scientific research.

http://iai.asm.org/content/26/1/254.full.pdf

Polyploidy? Yes, I have several links in my faves but no time to go searching for those now b/c there are a total of about 2K entries.

Google Searches? Yes, I do trust Google when searching for specific information that I can't find elsewhere, usually peer reviewed. I was a peer reviewer for the journals of Infectious Diseases, Virology and Journal of Bacteriology.

Carolyn
OK, meditate on it a little though because it's what you said, not me.

There are plenty of references in the literature and Charles Rick who I met in his final years, and you surely respect and likely contacted, was interested in polycots and the genetics of them. I'm sure if we tried we could dig up his reference to tetracots if it were pressing, and since you're OK with it I'll "stick with Rick" on this one...

Back to the original question in that vein, Arabidopsis thaliana has been considered the model plant for genomic sequencing. Mutations in it that produce phenotypic monocot, dicot, tricot and tetracots are quantified in this Australian paper:

Chaudhury et. al. paper on polycotyly in Arabidopsis and what the plants are like

It is worth reading as it speaks of developmental instability leading to these genetic curiosities and discusses such tetracot mutant plants as producing extra cytokinins and interestingly showing different growth habits and early flowering. We can agree that they are very interest plants
Thanks Marsha, I bet you find the ancients as mesmerizing to read about as I do and find what the authors of the above paper call precocious flowering an interesting characteristic in subtropical summers
Old March 6, 2015   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Here is the original question.

Worth