Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 24, 2023   #19
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK2021 View Post
Amazingly enough, they do. They have enough nutrients from the last of the yolk when they hatch to keep going for a little while, and there is always a minimum number of chicks to keep the group of them warm during shipment. I've only ever received chicks shipped by USPS, and you have to pick them up at your post office, or at least that is what I've had to do.

Raising hens for your own eggs doesn't really save money, at least in the short term, but they're entertaining, and if managed well will do their part in weeding and insect control. Some breeds are particularly friendly and make good pets. And of course, you'll be forever spoiled as far as fresh eggs go! I don't keep hens at the moment as I do too much travel and would be reluctant to leave a coop unattended for more than a day as we have coyotes, foxes, and bobcats where I live.

My hens certainly save us money,i mix my own feed and hatchmy own chicks and get almost 100% production year round and then sell extras for 8 dollars/ dozen. We keep about 20 hens and 1 rooster. I source non gmo corn,peas wheat and use rock dusts,kelp,fish meal etc etc.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote