Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old December 19, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default First Korean Turnip

I pulled a few more turnips yesterday, including the first one from seed I bought at the Korean grocery store. The only thing on the packet that was in English and not Korean characters, other than the company name, was the variety name of Gang Hwa. Here's a pic of the Gang Hwa (on the left) next to the old time Purple Top turnips I always plant. The Korean one's kind of wedge shaped. I'll let the next ones get bigger. They were sown about three weeks after the Purple Tops so that there wouldn't be a ton of turnips ready at once.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2019   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

How do they taste?
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2019   #3
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I watched a television show a couple of years ago where they were harvesting turnips I believe in New Zealand. The summer growing season was short and very cool. The turnips didn't have enough growing time to get very large but they were surprisingly sweet. I've grown a lot of turnips over the years as a cover crop and for the greens. I've never been able to develop a taste for the bulbs. If I could find a sweeter variety, I might like them. Let me know how the Korean turnips taste.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2019   #4
imp
Tomatovillian™

Don, you might like the younger turnips raw sliced thinly or in matchsticks in a salad. Another way is to slice about mmm 1/4 inch, salt to pull juice out rinse and dredge in corn meal then shallow fry them.
Old December 20, 2019   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried it yet but probably will today. It might be a better comparison if I find a purple top in the garden that's the same size as the Korean.

Imp, thanks for that tip about the salt/dredge/fry thing. I've never done that before but will try it.
Old December 20, 2019   #6
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Turnips make wonderful pickles, that’s what they have been grown for in Northern China, I’ve never had it in other form。 Salt brined, then soaked in some soy sauce, then thinly julienned, sprinkled with some sesame seeds or oil, red chili flakes, and serve.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2019   #7
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I picked a similar sized purple top turnip and have tried both raw. To me, the Korean one is crisper than the purple top but the purple top is a bit sweeter aznd has a bit more turnip flavor. It will be interesting to see if the flavor of the Korean one changes with time and size.
Old December 21, 2019   #8
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Imp! That sounds good. I will try it.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2019   #9
imp
Tomatovillian™

Forgot to say, I use the classic 3 stage thing for coating the turnips - flour, then egg, then cornmeal. It's not too thick, but gets the coating to stick!