Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 12, 2014   #1
Errol
Tomatovillian™

Default hottest pepper

I am growing the Ghost pepper and the Carolina Reaper hot pepper. I am now in search for some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seed. Is anyone growing this pepper? thanks
Errol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errol View Post
I am growing the Ghost pepper and the Carolina Reaper hot pepper. I am now in search for some Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seed. Is anyone growing this pepper? thanks
Why are you growing these things?
Does anyone actually eat them or is it some form of self punishment.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #3
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Over the years I have learned to cook with them to great success.Dried pods ground up in a coffee grinder makes a good addition to your dry rubs.Wife minces them up to add to her salsas with the maters I provide.I myself enjoy a tied up cheesecloth sachet dredged in soups and chili con carne(timed soaking,recipe dependent).Then I always keep some around for the hardball "I can eat any pepper in the world" neighbor (usually drunk) so as to put him in his place.Now for the various guys on You Tube who eat them raw and puke out the gallons of milk that is fun to watch.
Old July 12, 2014   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Also, they pickle up great, and I use the pickle vinegar for seasoning greens and beans.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have 8 trinidad moruga scorpion plants this year if you can wait a month or so until the pods are all ripened up i will send you some seeds. Have you had any of these nuclear peppers yet? I have and boy oh boy are they hot. The carolina reaper is even hotter. Pretty much balled me up in bed for 4 hours with fire gut. I gave a tms to a guy at work who thinks he is the ultimate hot pepper eater. About 30 minutes after he ate the whole pepper he was throwing up for those same 4-5 hours. That pepper put him right in his place. He has not asked for any peppers since.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; July 13, 2014 at 12:48 AM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #6
Errol
Tomatovillian™

Heirloomtomaguy, that would be great and yes I would like some seeds. I just like to grow hot peppers along with lots of other veggies. I do eat several types of peppers but haven't tried these hottest of the hottest yet.
Old July 12, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Heirloomtomaguy, that would be great and yes I would like some seeds. I just like to grow hot peppers along with lots of other veggies. I do eat several types of peppers but haven't tried these hottest of the hottest yet.
Not ever, you better prepare yourself.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #8
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

I've been eating fatali's let me tell you what, if you start picking them early they only have a fraction of the heat and they give you an idea of how the capsaisinoids will affect you. not all peppers hit you the same in the same areas. it interesting but having that knowledge before they get too hot will help you handle them better in the long run.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I leave the super hots on the plant until they are nice and deadly. I usually will mix in one reaper or tms with a half gallon of salsa. Gives it a kick you will never forget. Fyi my 4 year old daughter eats it right along with me but i limit her so it doesnt burn out the other end. She is a pro at eating spicy and sour things.

Errol as soon as they are ready i will shoot some your way.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #10
Errol
Tomatovillian™

thanks everyone for all the information and suggestions. I started eating hot peppers at the age of 6, I just had to be eating what my daddy ate!! And thank you heirloomtomaguy
Old July 13, 2014   #11
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I hesitantly bring this up as I can already hear the hoots and laughter, but if you have any symptoms of reflux or vomiting after ingestion of such hot peppers, especially when combined with beer, you seriously may want to reconsider future ingestion of them. This is not the same as simple heartburn, but when you can actually taste the stomach acid in the throat. When either drink or food is coming up into the esophagus it is doing damage; over the long term this can become serious.

Antacids are not enough. Repeated irritation of the esophagus leading to reflux CAN do serious damage. When you can taste that stomach acid in the back of the throat, the damage is being done. Some are predisposed to this due to a faulty valve at the top of the stomach, others bring on the problem themselves by continually overloading the stomach with food or drink. Its a matter of volume being consumed or the nature of what is being consumed leading to throwing up the food, effectively carrying all of that stomach acid into the esophagus.

You CAN burn out that valve at the top of the stomach which will lead to repeated reflux. Reflux leads to GERD. Initially, GERD can lead to the need for medicine such as nexium when the valve is damaged. Later, it can lead to the need of reconstructive surgery and later endoscopy periodically. The surgery itself often has life long complications. Left too long it can all lead to Barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer. I have staple tracks from mid sternum to belly button to remind me, as well as the physical inability to throw up now, no matter how sick, and other little side issues.

Bottom line, enjoy, but, if you are develop recurring reflux you might want to reconsider just how much that enjoyment is worth. Just saying.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #12
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am also growing these and several more of the super hots. I have 1 TMS with about 30 green peppers on it, I can also send seeds after they ripen.
Made a sweet pineapple, mango salsa with 3 ripe Naga Vipers yesterday and it is so good.
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2014   #13
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

I've got 2 TMS plants this year, one of which is really putting out the peppers. My first two pods are just turning red. They've got my son's and my name on them

I'll gladly send you seeds but I can't guarantee the'll be true. I've gotten some unexpected crossed this year from last year's seed. Two of my Ghosts are producing what look like Tabasco peppers and my 3rd generation Thai is producing what look like baccatum flowers. Oh well.

I agree with you epsilon about picking Fatalii's early to tame some of the heat and keep the flavor. I usually pickle mine when they are just showing some color. Wow, good stuff!

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #14
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

I have one other observation about the fatali's, picked early there's some kind of cocoa type note in there that you normally don't get later on when the main flavor turns to citrus.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2014   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
I have one other observation about the fatali's, picked early there's some kind of cocoa type note in there that you normally don't get later on when the main flavor turns to citrus.
I'll have to try that, I've only used Fatali's when they were ripe.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote