Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 9, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default Giant Szegedi sweet pepper

In the foreground of the picture there are two plants in 12" pots. Both are Giant Szegedi, one raised with organic fertilizer and the other with inorganic fertilizer. Both treated only with organic pesticides.

I'm not sure of the origin of the name, but perhaps there is a diminutive pepper from which this is derived. My peppers as shown in the photo are 3" to 5" in length. They started in the yellow stage and then slowly matured to orange and red. I would say they are delicious in any stage: sweet like other yellow peppers with no "green bell pepper" taste. The walls of the peppers are neither thin nor thick: about right for fresh eating, grilling, or stews.

As the picture indicates, they are prolific producers of peppers in my environment. No blossom end rot, no diseases, few pest problems, just lots of peppers.

Old July 10, 2014   #2
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Great peppers Richard, I have pepper envy.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Richard, I wondering if Giant Szegedi is maybe a larger variety of Pusztagold.
They both originate from Eastern Europe, they both start out as yellow, then ripen from orange to red, and they both don't have thick walls.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2014   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We have grown Giant Szegedi for year (although giant is a misnomer for here, they never get giant). Yours look very nice. I am not sure we ever leave enough of them on the plant to ever have them look like that, though.
Old August 3, 2014   #5
trainwreckz5
Tomatovillian™

The plants look nice. I too have been growing Giant Szegedi for years. We pickle them with garlic and dill. The recipe has been in the family since coming over from the old country but I have been told it is not considered a "safe" canning recipe so I will not post it on here. I find if you really push them with fertilizer you can get them to have fairly thick walls. On a side note if you save seeds try to let them get red ripe before harvesting them for the seeds . Seeds from the white or yellow phase will not be fertile.
trainwreckz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2014   #6
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

For the first time ever we have loaded plants with nice sized peppers. I did plant them in black plastic mulch and put black woven ground cover (mostly for weed control) down in between the rows this year, so I am sure the extra heat was utilized by the plants.
Old August 3, 2014   #7
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
For the first time ever we have loaded plants with nice sized peppers. I did plant them in black plastic mulch and put black woven ground cover (mostly for weed control) down in between the rows this year, so I am sure the extra heat was utilized by the plants.
Congratulations!