Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2013   #1
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Default When to start fertilizing when using peat pellets?

I know this topic has likely come up many many times, but every time I search for it I keep coming across other interesting threads and keep getting sidetracked!

In the past I started seeds in a basic seed starter soil mix. This year my kids bought me a seed starter kit with the peat pellets. We planted them about a week and a half ago and they have germinated and just I put them under lights today. They still just have cotyledon leaves and are about 2" tall.

My question is: when do I need to start fertilizing them? I usually have not fertilized starts until I transplant them into 4" pots, Which is usually 4 or so weeks into the process after they get at least two bunches of true leaves. Since the peat does not have the same nutrient mix as starter soil, is this OK?

Also, I usually use standard Miracle Grow when I pot up starts, mixed about 1/2 strength? Is that too strong a concentration for such small seedlings?

Thanks!

Benn
BennB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I use peat pellets for all mine. I take off the cover and put them all under lights as soon as even one comes up (2 inches from the lights for 16 hours a day). I do the first transplant about the time when the second set of true leaves emerge. as long as they are indoors under lights I use 1/4 strength 20-20-20 with every watering. increase to 1/2 then full strength once out in the greenhouse and change to tomato fertilizer once they are getting ready to bloom. long story short, i don't fertilize until i transplant but I transplant early as there is really minimal nutrients in a peat pellet but I love the convenience and super easy no fuss transplanting. just drop the plant pellet and all into the pot and fill up to the base of the leaves and presto- done.

this is a pic of some of mine from last year. no fertilizer yet but lots of light
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 540358_10150766485251255_1680495190_n[1].jpg (131.3 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by KarenO; March 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote