Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 28, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Planting Beets using Board Method

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?INXJB 28 April 2013 Planting Beets using Board Method
A 25 foot row of Detroit Supreme beets was planted using the board method. Seeds are about two inches apart,just pressed into the soil and lightly covered with soil.Watering is by running water on the board covering the seed. Enough water seeps under to keep the seeds damp.The board is on cross pieces to insure the emerging plants do not strike the underside of the board, when germination occurs.Experience indicates that this method insures maximum germination.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination- Six days.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MWIQV 5 May 2013 Beets Germination
Beet seeds germinated in six days. Protecting board was removed and the row lightly watered.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?INXJB 28 April 2013 Planting Beets using Board Method
A 25 foot row of Detroit Supreme beets was planted using the board method. Seeds are about two inches apart,just pressed into the soil and lightly covered with soil.Watering is by running water on the board covering the seed. Enough water seeps under to keep the seeds damp.The board is on cross pieces to insure the emerging plants do not strike the underside of the board, when germination occurs.Experience indicates that this method insures maximum germination.
Old May 5, 2013   #3
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

What is the purpose of the board? Why not just gently water the soil?
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013   #4
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've never had trouble with chard and beets germinating without the board. I could see the pint for carrots and onions, where keeping the shallowly planted seeds damp is important. I've never tried it with lettuce since my lettuce usually does well just direct sown ( I sow it thick and use it for baby lettuce to thin) but I could see that maybe working.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
With an overhead SUN soil dries quickly, and too much heat can basically kill many seeds.
Old May 6, 2013   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
With an overhead SUN soil dries quickly, and too much heat can basically kill many seeds.
True enough Durgan but for MANY decades I've just made a very shallow furrow with the side of a hoe and planted seeds for beets, carrots and many other small seeded kinds of veggies,covered them lightly and spritzed them lightly with water and have had no problems whatsoever.

Thinned them if needed.

No boards ever.

Carolyn
Old May 7, 2013   #7
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

Ginny appears to be very good at supervising and inspecting all types of veggies. Good girl, Ginny!
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
True. Today it would be necessary to water about four times and the heat from the Sun may be more of an issue. The board simplifies the procedures.
Old May 7, 2013   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
True. Today it would be necessary to water about four times and the heat from the Sun may be more of an issue. The board simplifies the procedures.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brantford

I just checked the weather for Brantford, you have to click on Climate to see the averages, and your average high there in the summer is about the same as what I have here in upstate NY.

I have several gardening friends in Ontario, two of them long term friends, but I don't think I'm going to ask them how they sow seed for beets and carrots, etc.

Carolyn, who notes it's very dry here but what Freda does, b'c she now has to do all my gardening, is just turn the hose on and water. And yes, we've had several days in a row with lovely sunshine, as you have where you are.