Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 19, 2013   #1
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default Save the Rotisserie Trays

I bought a three piece 72 cell tray with lid and basin.. also wanted to add more seedlinngs so instead of running to to store, I thought the rotisserie chicken tray with the lid would work just as great for my seedling! I space about ten more seeds, should make a nice flat of "big boys"
nnjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2013   #2
Longlake
Tomatovillian™

Default Works for WinterSowing, Too!

Great way to recycle/reuse the container! I'm using the same style container for some of my wintersown seeds...the high/domed lid seems ideal for that, too.
Old March 19, 2013   #3
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

indeed it does,, the dome is higher than the store bought jiffy! .. i'm eating chicken tonight .. i leave the grease too at the bottom for enrichment lol cucumbers sprouting already just after few days!!
nnjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2013   #4
svalli
Tomatovillian™

When all of my reusable plugg boxes are full, I use the clear plastic bakery containers.

During the seed starting season I may be buying some sweet coffee bread or muffins just based on the container they are packed in .

These bakery containers work also well as mini greenhouses when rooting cuttings. The rotisserie containers may be sturdier, but I have not seen those around here, the cooked chicken is here sold in foil lined bags.

I do also reuse milk cartons when potting up my tomato plants. I can bury much of the leggy tomato stem in a one liter milk carton.

Sari
Old March 20, 2013   #5
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

great idea, thank you for sharing
Old March 20, 2013   #6
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Default have another container question

I forgot to mention, the 72 cell tray I seeded has a variety, 18 cucumber seedlings / 18 swiss chard / 18 big boy tomato seedlings /18 super beefsteak tomato seedlings.. The cucumbers are up already hitting the plastic doom.. the tomatoes are starting but not all germinating as well as the chard.. should I be transplanting the cucs now or let them smash up on the tray cover, until everything sprouts before I send them to the basement florescent light?
Old March 20, 2013   #7
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have people save me all kinds of fruit/vegetable containers. if they hold soil and have a lid I recycle them. Different sizes are always welcome as I don't start everything in the same quantities. I punch holes in the bottom if need be. Bakery "trays", donut trays, strawberry boxes, cherry tomato boxes, salad containers...etc. They all work fine in place of the big trays.