Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 13, 2013   #16
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray, I'm sorry you had to dump the Winter seedlings. I just made my first BLT from the winter plants night before yesterday. Your grow list looks mouthwatering. When are you planning to set out? Early March? April?

--naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Ray, I have only one question: WHEN DO WE EAT???
Deborah,

We will need to wait a few days for the ones I picked outside today to ripen:

Naysen,

I'll be putting the new seedlings out to harden off end of February and planting them in their EarthTainers on March 25.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013   #18
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, Are those compressed pellets coir? Burpee's description isn't very clear, something about a blend.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013   #19
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Raybo, Are those compressed pellets coir? Burpee's description isn't very clear, something about a blend.
Ray,

I am not sure of their composition. When covered with warm water, they breakdown into particles. Not likely peat like the jiffy pellets.

Raybo
Old January 13, 2013   #20
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I think I found the answer in the reviews of the Super Growing Pellets.

Quote:
By Burpee Expert, Customer Service, May 8, 2012
The super growing pellets that you purchased are only meant for starting the seeds as they consist of a sterile natural coconut fiber and as well there are trace amounts of non-organic fertilizer added to balance PH and give a good start to young seedlings. We do not suggest that you keep the seedlings in the seed starter past the first set of true leaves as the plant will need more natural trace elements for its growth.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2013   #21
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

Thanks for this information. I will be sure to add Plant-tone fertilizer as the seedlings develop, then pot up into Happy-frog Mix in 4 inch pots when the seedlings develop into good sized plants.

Raybo
Old January 14, 2013   #22
Chrissykin
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I am glad your feeling better. I love to see your pics! I learn so much from you.
Chrissykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2013   #23
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Default And so it begins

I just started my Calabrese Broccoli today. January 18th! 3 days late but close enough! 72 cell jiffy pro-hex with tray and Jiffy organic seed starting mix. Watered with aquarium water. Tray covered with Saran wrap and on a heat mat by a south facing window.

Thanks Heather for the "bonus" seeds from the swap. And thanks to whoever sent that bonus in!

I will be starting a few other brassicas and lettuces in the coming days in egg cartons filled with home made soil for personal use, but the actual test project has begun. YEE HAW I am getting excited!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2013   #24
GnomeGrown
Tomatovillian™

Old January 18, 2013   #25
Greenthumbroy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Mostly repeat Varieties but a few new ones this year:

Berkeley Tie-Dye

Berkeley Beauty King

Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye

Better Boy Hybrid (VFNASt) 75

Big Beef Hybrid (VFFNTASt) 73

Big Daddy

Bloody Butcher

Brandywine from Croatia

Cowlick’s Brandywine

Desters

Dona F1

Early Large Red

Goose Creek

Jetsetter Hybrid (VFFNASt) 64

MarNar (1 F2; 1 F4)

Momotaro Hybrid (VFNSt) 70

Parks Whopper Hybrid (VFFNT) 65

Supersonic Hybrid (VFFN) 79

Tastywine F6 (Dwarf Project)

Rather than the Rapid Rooters, I am trialing the new self-watering seed starting system from Burpee. The grow compartment sits on a wicking mat which pulls up water from the lower tray to keep the grow media moist:

It uses compressed pellets which expand to fill each slot when warm water is applied. You can see one of the compressed pellets in the bottom of the above photo.

I have the enclosure sitting on a heat mat:

So far, I've been pleased with the system:

http://www.burpee.com/seed-starting/...Id=2211&trail=

Worked well starting seedlings for my (aborted) Winter InnTainer project.

Raybo
Will start mine Feb 15th or so. Start hardning off around Mar 15th or so and into 4" peat pots. Then in the ground around mid-April. Sound about right?
Greenthumbroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #26
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

The final total is 188 of the Calabrese Broccoli that made it to pots! Now we just watch and wait for a 2 week period when there is no frost predicted, and they go in the ground! Getting exciting!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old March 1, 2013   #27
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

OK Finally 99% finished! A bit late, but yesterday and today I finally got my Tomato seeds in the starting mix! Woo Hoo! Over 80 varieties! They better grow!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old March 1, 2013   #28
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Good going Scott. 80 varieties -wow, that will be a lot to take care of! Wish I had space for all those, but I need to manage with just 22 plants. Mine will be going "in the ground" this week.

Raybo
Old March 1, 2013   #29
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Good going Scott. 80 varieties -wow, that will be a lot to take care of! Wish I had space for all those, but I need to manage with just 22 plants. Mine will be going "in the ground" this week.

Raybo
You are better off. I am merely using a shot gun technique of finding what works here. Throw out a bunch of varieties and see what makes it. Survival of the fittest.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison