Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 25, 2015   #1
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default How much / often do YOU water during hardening off??

I've been watering daily after their daily outing, since my index finger (stuck into the transfer cup) is dry past the second knuckle. They're in individual 8 ounce transfer cups, they ALWAYS look dry = even after bottom watering for 30 minutes.

Seedlings have several sets of true leaves and look and smell like miniature tomato plants.

Is this the right way?? Is daily watering normal??

Also, some seedlings (I have a few different varieties) have very long seed leaves that are becoming paler than the rest of that seedling. Is this normal???? A symptom of over-watering??
RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Definitely keep them moist. Might be time to get them in the ground pretty soon an 8 oz cup cannot hold enough moisture for a tomato plant with several sets of Leaves.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

It's normal for the cotyledons to yellow and fall off.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I agree, 8 oz. is not much soil and the wind will dry it out quickly. As soon as you finish the hardening off process, get them planted.
Old March 25, 2015   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
I agree, 8 oz. is not much soil and the wind will dry it out quickly. As soon as you finish the hardening off process, get them planted.
+1
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2015   #6
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Are you bottom watering? When you water from the top you can get channels that go straight through and does not saturate the whole container. If you bottom water, it seeps up and you know when the top of the container is wet that all the container is wet. I bottom water once a week with half strength neptunes fish and seaweed fertilizer. If there are out there on windy days, drying can be faster and I may water again with just water on those days.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2015   #7
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
Are you bottom watering? When you water from the top you can get channels that go straight through and does not saturate the whole container. If you bottom water, it seeps up and you know when the top of the container is wet that all the container is wet. I bottom water once a week with half strength neptunes fish and seaweed fertilizer. If there are out there on windy days, drying can be faster and I may water again with just water on those days.

Stacy
Yes, I bottom water daily after bringing them inside - before I put them back under the ligghtws. I let them sit and drink for thirty minutews.....but the top of the3 growing medium ALWAYS is dry and crumbly.
RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2015   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

It's a little too early. We're having a very cold weekend coming up. Don't plant just yet, unless you have a way to protect them.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Watering frequency depends a lot on temperature. I water when the container feels light, and hopefully just before the plant starts to wilt. If I can feel any water weight in the flat or container, I try to wait longer before watering.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote