Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old October 19, 2011   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default My garlic is planted.

Each year I buy a Sampler pack of garlic from ‘The Garlic Store’.

This year the pack included: Metechi, Chesnok Red, China Dawn, Georgian Crystal, Keeper and Krandasgar. These are all new to me so I’m looking forward to next year’s harvest.

I also planted some Elephant garlic that I had from this year’s harvest.
Old October 19, 2011   #2
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

I see a 4-pack and an 8-pack on their site ... I guess they stopped offering this one? What was the total weight of the garlic you received? And how big were the bulbs?

I'll be planting garlic for the first time this year -- will be nice to have something sleeping out there in the garden while it's cold and snowy.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011   #3
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

They change the options as the year goes on. I ordered mine back in July.

I didn’t weigh the heads but there were 48 cloves altogether. I took a pic of the varieties so I could tell if what I grow is a big as what they sent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1298.jpg (215.2 KB, 52 views)
Old October 19, 2011   #4
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting the picture -- that helped me understand. Pretty garlic.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2011   #5
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Mine is in too as of Sunday 10/16. That is actually a little earlier than normal for me, some years I've waited until early November!

I more than doubled my planting from about 3 dozen total to 65 hardneck and 15 soft (Nootka Rose). I don't remember what the hardneck is but I started with one bulb in 2003 and it's a good one with 7-10 nice cloves - probably a Rocambole?
Old October 20, 2011   #6
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Mine went in two days ago..I couldn't make up my mind what to get so I got one head of 24 different types plus I planted ones from my sown stock grown last year.. quite the job making a grid and a plan to know what is what when they grow but all are safely in..phwe.

XX Jeannine
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2011   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I haven't planted yet, but about a week ago I came up with my planting list and now have the cloves to be used for planting in the crisper drawers of my garage fridge for a 4+ week pre-chilling. I've found I get the best results in my warm winter area if I pre-chill for 4-5 weeks prior to planting - picked up this invaluable tip from a N. Fla gardener a couple of years ago.

I will then plant out around mid-Nov or so.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #8
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i planted mine on sunday 10/23.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #9
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Planted my first one yesterday, made a map, 3 different ones on 1 line 15'. But i had the names left to right, but do not put a stick when each was done. Maybe 6 of each, I hope the plants do not look the same.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've only ever grown German Extra-Hardy from Johnny's but this year I'm quite excited to be trying 11 new varieties thanks to a generous fellow Tomatovillian. The soil was prepared yesterday- half the cloves will be planted in a raised bed and the other half in the ground for comparison. Oct. 27th will be planting day here. I was tempted to plant half on that day and wait until Nov. 7th to plant the other half for another comparison, but after seeing how many folks way north of me have already planted, I think I'll plant them all on the earlier date. Markers and a map will definitely be part of the plan.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #11
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mine were planted about 2 weeks ago, have already sprouted.
Old October 25, 2011   #12
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

German Giant, Russian Giant, and Russian Red for me, first time growing garlic.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #13
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

This is my third season with garlic. The first year was a bust. I cut ALL of the leaves in the spring - thinking they were scapes...

I will have to try the 4-5 week chilling next year. I chilled for 2 weeks.

Last year, I planted some in late Sept and some in late Oct. I was happier with the earlier plantings, but it could have been the barely amended bed (vs a well amended one) and not the planting times..

My Sept plantings yielded some incredibly sized cloves, in my opinion - especially for a first year planting.

I planted in four batches. The first batch was my own varieties from last year and the subsequent batches were new to me - 2 orders and a trade.

I have planted 45 varieties of garlic, 4 varieties of shallots and 1 winter onion.

My soil is nasty clay but I added aged manure a few months ago. Even the older, better amended, beds were nearly hard as a rock by the time I planted.

So, at planting, I made a map and dug a trench. I tried to carefully place the cloves and fill in so they would stay in place and be 6" apart. Some varieties have cloves popping up and the cloves shifted! I fear some are now too close together. I have found that, for me, a map and markers are essential. I used bamboo sticks for markers but think yanking them out is too alluring for my kids/their friends. Since the beds are planted, I'll measure where the bamboo markers are and document that...Last year, the harvested garlic varieties looked similar to this newbie. Only when I cleaned/removed the wrappers could I maybe tell the difference - and then not always. I don't care for my own use, but keeping them separate is necessary for trading!

Next time I plant, I will try to till the soil a month before planting and then dig a small hole for each clove (use a dribble??), keeping the surrounding soil intact.
We are due for freezing temps tonight, so I am frantically mulching leaves to create a blanket for the garlic beds. My trees are in denial of winter and keeping their leaves! Nothing like mowing the neighbors' yards for garlic mulch....
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #14
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnhanasmom View Post
I will have to try the 4-5 week chilling next year. I chilled for 2 weeks.

Next time I plant, I will try to till the soil a month before planting and then dig a small hole for each clove (use a dribble??), keeping the surrounding soil intact.

We are due for freezing temps tonight, so I am frantically mulching leaves to create a blanket for the garlic beds. .
I don't have a lot of experience with garlic, but I thought you only needed to chill garlic if you lived in climate without a cold winter or if you were going to plant cloves in the spring.

I think it's called a "dibble"..."dribble" is what the kids and pets do.

I just read that you are supposed to wait a few weeks after planting until the ground is well frozen and then mulch in order to reduce the amount of heaving that occurs from the soil alternately thawing and freezing, so maybe you don't need to be so frantic today.

Like I said, I'm not a garlic expert, but maybe those more experienced can clarify.

Good luck with all those varieties...that's a LOT of garlic!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2011   #15
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Mine went in Saturday 10/22. I'm growing in SmartPots. I have never grown garlic in my current zone. I did not pre-chill but I bought varieties that are supposed to do well in the south:
Ajo Rojo
Maiskij
Red Toch
Shilla
Sonoran

I'm looking forward to scapes - when I grew garlic before I didn't know they were edible and tossed them.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote