Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 27, 2011   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
Nice fruit Michael, hope it tasted as good as it looks!

Anyone have any info on the plant habit, determinate/indeterminate, short/tall? (Not listed at Tatiana's and seems hard to find the info on google.) I'm growing it for the first time this year and don't want to make any assumptions, but.....if I had to, I would assume it was a normal indeterminate.
I received the seeds from Andrey in Belarus in the Spring of 2008 and first listed it in the 2009 YEarbook as well as offering seeds for it here at Tville in my annual seed offer starting with the 2009 offers, and probably will again. I noted in the germination feedback thread which varieties were the most popular ones requested and without going back to check I think this was one of them.

Here's the SSE listing I did in 2009:

HAS, translates to "First Love", indet, potato leaved, moderate yield of 6-8 oz oblate globes/beefsteaks, excellent taste.
Old March 28, 2011   #32
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Carolyn:

I had forgotten that Andrey sent this variety out to you and you distributed. I need to go back in my seed box and see if he sent me seed-probably didnt since he knows I grow dwarves and that is what he usually sends me.

Great variety. Lots of fruit ripening on my plant. Thanks for helping get this one out to us.
Old March 28, 2011   #33
maf
Tomatovillian™

Thanks D, M & C. Exactly the info I was searching for. Mine are just about big enough to make out the potato leaves, looking forward to trying them later in the year.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2011   #34
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Michael - the least I can do, and really glad you like these!

Amazing how varieties could travel the world! Started in Belarus, to USA, to Germany, many thanks to Clara for those seeds!!! Thaen back to USA... I really think this is one of those varieties that can be considered a main stay (or at least every other year)

So indeed, thank you all who made Peravaya Lyubov available for us to grow!

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2011   #35
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duh_Vinci View Post
While back, among the favorite PL tomatoes, Pervaya Lyubov was mentioned... Sharing the same first name with my mother, who absolutely loves tomatoes (and anything fresh from the garden), I really wanted to plant this variety for her.

snip
I am going to give this variety a go. I hope it is as good as the rave reviews here.
Old April 29, 2011   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysWoodPile View Post
I am going to give this variety a go. I hope it is as good as the rave reviews here.
If you look at my feedback thread here on the first page you'll see that it was one of the most popular varieties in my last free seed offer here. Actually I listed all the most popular ones requested but that's deceiving in a way since many folks ask for only the most recent seeds as to seed age.

And I expect to offer it in my next seed offer here as well, which I usually get organized and written up around late December to early January.
Old August 26, 2011   #37
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

I finally got to try Pervaya Lyubov today. It was excellent. The first couple of fruits disappeared from my counter while I was gone at work. This was the first of my non-cherries to ripen and the plant is producing a lot of fruit. It's also a very pretty tomato to look at.

Carolyn, thanks so much for the seed. This one is definitely a keeper!
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2020   #38
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Bump on an old thread. What is a good source to obtain these seeds?

Thanks!
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2020   #39
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

If you can't find a source (commercial?), PM me a mailing address.

I'm glad you brought up this thread. Reading through it, one gardener mentioned 8' plants. I've previously mentioned that mine have been to only about 5'.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2020   #40
clara
Tomatovillian™

I've decided to re-grow my "old" varieties that have done fine in the past - Pervaya Lyubov is among them!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2020   #41
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I have a few of these seeds from Carolyn’s seeds offer. Don’t think I’ve ever grown them. It says 2008 on the coin envelope. I’m going to see if I can germinate some. Another one that I still plan to grow from her offer is Serdtse Buivola.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #42
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Knapp's Fresh Vegies has them.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

Over the years since I got these seeds from Carolyn, Pervaya Lyubov has become a favorite grow for two of my farmer friends. So early and reliable. Yields are good enough for a short season farmer, that's not bad!

Growing them early in the greenhouse I did find they petered out while other plants were still reaching for the sky. So my plants were fairly short, about like yours, Tormato.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #44
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

What is the DTM of this variety please folks? Sounds like on the I would be interested in getting going
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2020   #45
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
What is the DTM of this variety please folks? Sounds like on the I would be interested in getting going
From what I've read on this forum DTM is 65 days.
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote