Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2012   #46
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default hoy

i have 3 hoy plants up with fruit on them and after reading these posts, i am really looking forward to tasting them. the history on these old varieties is always interesting. jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVTomatoMan View Post
I'm just now coming across this thread. As Carolyn mentioned I would be very interested in obtaining seeds for this variety. So, if anyone would like to volunteer to send me seeds I'd be greatful. Just PM me.

Thanks,
Randy (in West Virginia)
Randy, I have no idea if anyone PMed you with seeds but I'd be glad to send you some and have your address from the SSE YEarbook.

I offered them this past Jan in my seed offer and know I still have some left.

After all, you sent me seeds for the two you SSE listed so I can return the favor.

Just PM me if you want to accept my offer but if someone beat me to it, go with that. Sorry, but I've been watching the Tennis from Paris and only got online now to see what pop up T storms are around.
Old June 6, 2012   #48
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
No, not a hybrid.

It's a genetically stable what we call an open pollinated (OP) variety so saved seeds will come true unless there's been a cross pollination in the garden of those folks growing it, or a mutation, which is much rarer.

So grow it, save seeds and enjoy it as many of us have already.
Ahh very nice! This variety looks like it would be fun to grow.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2012   #49
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
Ahh very nice! This variety looks like it would be fun to grow.
Tapout, I have to share with you that are several thousands of varieties that are interesting and fun to grow.

Glad to see you here and the more you read the greater the number of varieties that will interest you.

I tell you, it's an obsession, but a healthy and semi-sane one.
Old June 7, 2012   #50
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Hehe yes I am starting to feel the obsession. The more different types of tomatoes I discover the more I want to grow. Well to think about it, its not only growing new varieties "it's growing them well".
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2012   #51
tedln

Someone sent me some Hoy seed last year in a trade. I can't remember who, but I was interested in the variety due to comments on this forum. I didn't have high expectations for it but I have been very surprised. I had one hundred percent germination and the seedlings grew well. They were my tallest plants when I planted out on March 1. They have produced the most consistently large fruit in my garden. The taste has been very similar to most large beefsteak varieties with a good tomato flavor but not overly acidic. I've had a bountiful garden this year with a flood of tomatoes. I haven't been able to give all of them away so I purchased a dehydrator and started drying them. The Hoy tomato has worked very well on the dehydrator because it produces a lot of large, 1/4" thick; slices from each tomato.

Ted