Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2018   #1
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

Default Late Starts - Catching Up

Off topic. I seeded some late starts. Anywhere from 5-6 weeks later I feel. Let's put it this way, the 1st starts were in solo cups, 10-12 inches high by the time I started the germinating the late starts.

Somewhat interesting observation, as I've never had seeds from 2 different starting periods. They have been outside planted for the last 2 weeks or so, and amazingly, the late starts are actually faring off quite well. I only have a couple that are really puny but I think that was more to the stunted helmet head, but everything else , while behind on ones seeded earlier, they are coming along.

Here I was thinking, the earlier starts would be giants amongst the late starts
mobiledynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #2
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Almost always the case and has been documented and discussed many times.

The only exception is an unusually favorable Spring where the ground has warmed and temps
are higher than the average.
I always start in stages, three or four sowings, a few weeks apart. Mainly due to my time and how long
it takes. also I like to use various starting mixes so I have some back-ups if something goes wrong.

This season my very early starts are now fruiting and the late starts are way behind due to warmer
temps this year. They will all do well I think.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

This year I deliberately have 2 sets of starts 6 weeks apart. I'm evaluating f2's, so I put the first set of f2's out, then 6 weeks later, evaluate whether they have the large fruit I'm looking for. If not, they're pulled and replaced with some from the 2nd set. There's still time for the 2nd set to ripen before the end of the season.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2018   #4
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't say they are in the same league, but non-the-least, it's interesting to watch the growth habitat/compare. The early starts were transplanted from 1G pots. About 70% of those early starts had a root system that filled up the 1G.

The late starts - literally went from seedling starter packs right to transplant. The root system when transplanted , not even a close to what it was on the earlys.
Old May 24, 2018   #5
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

I've done this before when I had to replace transplants that met untimely ends, and, yeah, the difference ends up being not that great. A difference of 4 weeks in start dates ends up being a difference of only 2 weeks in harvest time, for example.

It can be an issue in a really short growing season, but for me in PA, it's negligible overall.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #6
mobiledynamics
Tomatovillian™

What a interesting observation. The early ones have some fruit, much much more blossoms. However, in overall heigh, the late starts have peaked and I would say maybe only 18 inches shorter than the original ones.
Old June 11, 2018   #7
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Sand Hill has this to say on their website:

Quote:
Ideally, we start our tomatoes in mid-April to set out in late May. Lately, our tomatoes have been started in early May and set out in mid-June. I’ve noticed we have virtually no early blight problems and, if properly cared for, have lots of tomatoes
https://www.sandhillpreservation.com/tomato
Old June 11, 2018   #8
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

What was the seeding date on your late starts?

Mine were all late this year, April 24th start, most went in the ground inside 4 weeks later. They are doing great, particularly at my full sun spot where I had them under AG19 hoops. I was up to my brother's place a few days ago, some of his estivas (my starts also, same time) are 4 ft tall in a CRW cage and have an honest to god 2" diameter stem at 3 foot up. I think late was no problem, this year. So far I have seen a single leaf with EB bullseye. With 1.6" on the rain gauge yesterday, that will likely change soon.

Last edited by JRinPA; June 11, 2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: false start on post
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #9
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
With 1.6" on the rain gauge yesterday, that will likely change soon.
This year has just been brutal with all the rain. And that was after the fact that winter lasted well into late April!
Old June 11, 2018   #10
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Well...we have not had much rain here. I certainly wouldn't call it brutal. My raised beds are much drier this year than the last two.
Old June 11, 2018   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Yes, last year we had about 2 1/2 months of rain in May, June, & July. This year, much better.
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2018   #12
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I'm in the dark green 1-2" area for the last 30 days. I take it you (gorbelly) must be down in the yellow away from the ridgelines?

http://data-services.wsi.com/200904-...ctorName/conus
Old June 12, 2018   #13
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I'm in the dark green 1-2" area for the last 30 days. I take it you (gorbelly) must be down in the yellow away from the ridgelines?

http://data-services.wsi.com/200904-...ctorName/conus
I'm very close to Philly. A Philly gardening group I belong to on Facebook is full of woes involving drowning plants, unhappy plants with wet feet, plants suffering from lack of sun, etc. Flash flood warnings have been routine the past month. Luckily I'm not in an area that's flood-prone, but it's been a slog.