Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 12, 2018   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Which would be the better choice?

I had two Rose seedlings that grew faster than all the others and wouldn't fit under the lights in the basement. I grew them on my windowsill where it is warm, and eventually potted them into 1L waxed OJ containers. It became apparent that they were going to be massive (too big) at planting out time in 3 weeks.

I chopped them off just above the first true leaves, thinking that I would root the tops (in water) and keep them. As a safeguard, I also kept the bottoms in their big containers.

The cuttings took ten days before rooting and I got a little nervous that they took so long, but now they have good roots and I have just potted them up. However, the bottoms have sent out several new shoots at the base of the plants, although they are not very big.

The bottoms have a massive root system and the tops have great looking leaves.

It might be obvious which ones to choose by plant-out time in 10-17 days, but I'm curious to hear which ones other people would choose.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #2
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I'd go with those that have the strongest and most developed root system... provided, of course, that it isn't root-bound by the time you plant out.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #3
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Assuming both had good roots, I'd plant one of each and keep track of how they compare because it sounds like an interesting experiment.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

The roots wins.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Many thanks for the opinions. Sounds as if the roots have it! I hope the greenery will grow FAST .

All the seedlings are outside in the shade today getting used to the great outdoors .

Linda
Old May 16, 2018   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Rose has that "problem", consistantly the most massive, by volume (height and width), variety that I've ever trialed. Don't ever plant it too deep, or you may wind up with another one of the "problems", a 5 tomato truss, weighing 7 1/2 lbs, hanging about 1" from the ground.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #7
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Rose has that "problem", consistantly the most massive, by volume (height and width), variety that I've ever trialed. Don't ever plant it too deep, or you may wind up with another one of the "problems", a 5 tomato truss, weighing 7 1/2 lbs, hanging about 1" from the ground.
And then you're gonna need a bigger boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VquLerRp-ps
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I never knew that the Rose plants were so massive. No problem growing them though as I love them so much.

Too funny about the bigger boat .

Linda