Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old July 11, 2007   #1
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Default My sweet peppers in progress

My wife's mother have tasted 4 Balkonovka fruits 40 days after tranplanting this plant into our coldframe for peppers. This even didn't get me a chance to make a photo of that first fruits so I took the shot on newly grown... This an extra early Czech sweet pepper variety suitable for growing in patio and outside.

From the left to the right:
Balkonovka, Pervenets Romantsova (now has 11 fruits on it), Nokturn, Nokturn, Palanacka Babura, Troyka, Parnas, Mastodont, Elf Zielonki, Iga
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july07 056 Balkonovka.jpg (165.0 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg july07 051 Pervenets Romantsova sp.jpg (218.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg july07 054 Lisichka sp.jpg (202.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg july07 055 Lisichka.jpg (151.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg july07 057 Palanacka Babura sp.jpg (158.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg july07 059 Troyka sp.jpg (160.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg june07 549 Parnas sp.jpg (169.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg june07 678 Mastodont sp.jpg (158.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg june07 682 Elf sp.jpg (201.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg june07 683 Iga sp.jpg (170.2 KB, 44 views)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; August 3, 2007 at 01:37 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #2
orflo
Tomatovillian™

They all look great, Andrey,is this Elf the same as Elf Zielonki I got from you?
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Andrey-Great fruit set on small plants-Pls keep us updated on them.
Old July 12, 2007   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by orflo View Post
They all look great, Andrey,is this Elf the same as Elf Zielonki I got from you?
Frank
Yes, Frank. It's Elf Zielonki

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old July 12, 2007   #5
orflo
Tomatovillian™

It's looking great, even though you're even more up to the north than I am; we had some terribly bad weather though, it should be improving, your other plants are behaving ok, considering the weather, especially bogatyr looks good but I've placed it in my big greenhouse because it was a bit slow germinating, now it caught up with the other ones. I have about sixty pepper varieties this year, earliest are Czech Black and weisse chili (also very productive) and off course ,the well known healthy, I'll try to keep you informed on your varieties,
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #6
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Andrey your peppers look beautiful. I especially love the color of Lisichka. What is the flavor like on that one? Are these all sweet peppers?

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #7
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, these are all sweeties. Usually we grow only 1-2 hot peppers. It's enought for our Eastern European rather neuntral almost spiceless food

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old July 17, 2007   #8
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Those look just wonderful. I also love the look of Lisichka too. I've never grown a non-bell of that color and shape, just fantastic and really really cool looking sweet pepper!!! Grew Kurtovska Kapija last year and have a few plants this year...shape is rather similar, size of fruit looks about same size too??
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2007   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

You are right - Lisichka is very good looking, but sorry for my stupid mistake it is not Lisichka, but Nokturn Finally have found my growing map for sweet peppers

obispo45, Kurtovska Kapija has much longer (a horn like) fruits. Apelsin bears wide cone fruits.

Another update from the last week (from the left to the right: Balkonovka, Igrok, Iga, Olenka, Apelsin, Troyka
Attached Images
File Type: jpg july07 206 Balkonovka sp.jpg (145.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg july07 205 Igrok sp.jpg (161.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg july07 207 Iga sp.jpg (212.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg july07 209 Olenka sp.jpg (156.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg july07 208 Nokturn sp.jpg (166.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg july07 212 Troyka sp.jpg (156.9 KB, 29 views)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; July 28, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old July 26, 2007   #10
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Andrey, unless pictures incorporate some type of scale to determine size(which is often difficult to do and still have a nice picture) I sometimes have a hard time figuring out what's what. Trust me....I'm frequently guilty!! Thats good, by all accounts my K.Kapija peppers are true to type then.

Regardless, thats a great pepper and I have recorded the name. Heres hoping that the rest of the 2007 season provides you with beautiful days and equally nice produce. Your latest pics are very impressive too. Cheers
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2007   #11
mouse
Tomatovillian™

Andrey,

I love your posts because i learn so much from your vast knowledge, especially about growing in a region that fascinates me but abot which i know nothing.

I would be very grateful if you could add brief explanations [if you have the time] to your pepper [and tomato!] varieties, explaining what might be special about the fruit and the plant.

For example, fo Balkonovka, you noted its earliness, 40 days to fruit in Zone 4. Also its origin, Czech. Those facts were very helpful for some of us who may not have access to the SSE Yearbook or other sources.

Also, if you could note any special attributes about the fruit like flavor, or plant like yield, height, disease resistance, anything that caught your attention, all would be most helpful.

Any information of where seed might be available would be most welcome. I have a Yugoslavian friend who misses greatly the frying peppers of his homeland, for example, with no real way to retrieve them from a fragmented nation at this time.

Thanking you,

m
mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2007   #12
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, those look great! I'm growing a couple I got from you awhile back: Tenderness and Whinny the Pooh. T is doing great, but an insect ate all the leaves off WP but it's coming back in fine fashion.
Old August 7, 2007   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post
Andrey,

I love your posts because i learn so much from your vast knowledge, especially about growing in a region that fascinates me but abot which i know nothing.

I would be very grateful if you could add brief explanations [if you have the time] to your pepper [and tomato!] varieties, explaining what might be special about the fruit and the plant.

For example, fo Balkonovka, you noted its earliness, 40 days to fruit in Zone 4. Also its origin, Czech. Those facts were very helpful for some of us who may not have access to the SSE Yearbook or other sources.

Also, if you could note any special attributes about the fruit like flavor, or plant like yield, height, disease resistance, anything that caught your attention, all would be most helpful.

Any information of where seed might be available would be most welcome. I have a Yugoslavian friend who misses greatly the frying peppers of his homeland, for example, with no real way to retrieve them from a fragmented nation at this time.

Thanking you,

m
Thanks, mouse!

Actually you can find the major of info about my tomato and pepper varieties at my Seedlists in a "Trade" section.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=pepper+andrey

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=3458

Balkonovka is a new to me as well for this year. I've its seeds from one citrus collector from Czech Republic. The original seed packet reverse suggested to grow Balkonovka in a pot on a balcony (since the name but in a Czech way of writing ), but I'm growing 3 plants of Balkonovka in 2 coldframes. 2 of the plants gave me my earliest sweet peppers of all times in just 40 days after transpalnt. The cone fruit is average in size and has a got a beautiful milky-white color turning red later. Now (75 days after transplanting) I've got the third yeild from these plants. Just impressive!

I can't grow sweet peppers outdoor in our climate because of quite a short growing season and many deseases in the late July and almost the whole August (heavy fogs and a lot of rains).

As you can see in my list I have some sweeties and hotties with former Yugoslavian origin. I can send you some in autumn for you friend

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old August 7, 2007   #14
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Andrey, those look great! I'm growing a couple I got from you awhile back: Tenderness and Whinny the Pooh. T is doing great, but an insect ate all the leaves off WP but it's coming back in fine fashion.
Earl, Nezhnost ("Tenderness" in English) is very prolific and Winni is a local favorite for pots!

Will have much more varieties to offer you in autumn

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old August 7, 2007   #15
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting really excited here. The seedlings are popping up. And Andrey's peppers are doing well so far. It'll be interesting to see how well they do in our climate.

Great pictures, Andrey!
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote