Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 12, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default How Soon before they turn red?

Hi All,

How much longer will it be for my Corno di Toro and Jimmy Nardello to turn red? Their long green size is torturing me.

Cheers,

Angelique

Corno di Toro-Red

Jimmy Nardello

angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2006   #2
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Angelique,

I wish I had your problem, those are beauts! I'm sitting here wondering when my Jimmy Nardello is going to fruit. . When did you plant those and how much sun do they get?

Bruce
chilhuacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2006   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Those look good....sometimes my Jimmy Nardellos get eaten with just a few streaks of red, if the season gets cut short...Generally after a good hotter, dry spell they turn faster.
I have only Fresnos and Franks fruiting. My Fresnos have been on the vine awhile now and I have read to eat them at mature green or red. Since it is early in season I will try to hold out for red.
Your Corno di Toros should take a little longer, my experience with them is they take there time to ripen.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2006   #4
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bruce and Jeanne for the complements. I want say that I planted them in late April (after our cold rain spell). This year, I was really bad about keeping records because of the bad weather we had early on. My Jimmy Nardello Plants (I have another) are from Whole Foods and he Corno di Toro is from a local nursery.

I only have two plants that I started from seeds that survived. They are Mesilla and Sweet Cayenne. I am really looking forward to trying both of those.

All of my chile plants get full sun in 5 gallon Easi-Lift Grow Bags that are about 2/3 filled with organic potting soil. I really like these bags for my chiles. The verdict is still out as far as using them for tomatoes.
Old June 12, 2006   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see any time estimates. I can tell you that large peppers take about 3-4 weeks to fully ripen from green. No wonder the green ones are so much cheaper at the market.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2006   #6
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

angelique

Your pictures have answered a question I had about Jimmy Nardellos. I have mine planted in the same double row as a couple varieties of bells (Keystone Giant and Purple Beauty). I noticed the leaves on the JN were smaller than those of the bells. I was hoping there wasn't a problem with them, and looking at your pics assures me that they're OK.
Old June 13, 2006   #7
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

"No wonder the green ones are so much cheaper at the market."

Good point!!!
Old June 13, 2006   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Some nice lookin peppers you got there. I'm looking into other varieties since I have found out that bell peppers are very unproductive for their size and care required. I know that Jimmy Nordello(?) is hot right now (not hot as in spicy but hot as in gaining popularity) as a sweet pepper that does well in Houston. Might have to give it a try.
Old June 13, 2006   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I also made the move from bells to fryers due to the productivity issue - this year am trying Marconi, Corno di Toro, Italia, Red Belgium, Lipstick, Super Shepherd and Jimmy Nardello....along with the typical host of hots! I also have a few bells in pots that I just can't do without - Islander and Orange Bell - as well as a relatively new hybrid, Tawny Port - just couldn't resist with a name like that!
Old June 13, 2006   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Are there any cooking considerations?

I usually add red, orange, or yellow (never green -- they work my stomach over) bell peppers to chili, spaghetti sauce, and fajitas.
Old June 13, 2006   #11
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon27
Are there any cooking considerations?
Not really. I usually make due with what I have. I love yellow peppers for pizzas and salads. Red peppers for pizzas or stuffing. Orange pureed for sauces or soups. Green are okay...I am indifferent to green peppers unless they are stuffed for chile rellenos.

I am hoping that one of my peppers turns soon 'cause I still have a few winter shallots. Together with a few other veggies (squash-from my backyard, mushrooms, 1 kimberly is almost ripe) and spicy Italian sausage, they make a wonderful pizza.
Old June 13, 2006   #12
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Lack of productivity with peppers can often be caused by not picking them! ALWAYS pick the first peppers as soon as they reach full size and are green. That stimulates the plant to produce more fruit. If you leave the first peppers on until they turn red, you'll get very poor production, and they won't turn red any faster. Normal peppers turn red based on day length. That is why even seemingly immature peppers turn red in October, while a humongous pepper won't turn red in July.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2006   #13
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barkeater. If I decide to pick them now, do I leave them in the sun outside, cool/dark location, frig or kitchen counter until the peppers turn red?
Old June 13, 2006   #14
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Normal peppers turn red based on day length. That is why even seemingly immature peppers turn red in October, while a humongous pepper won't turn red in July.
barkeater,

One of the most intriguing posts have seen in a long, long time and I thank you for it!

I've always wondered why sometimes a rocoto (C. pubescens) takes several weeks to turn red after reaching mature size and sometimes turns red seemingly overnight.

Would you be so kind as to point to a study that varifies this?

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2006   #15
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Dang it Barkeater...I was so wanting a red Fresno, but you are so right ....peppers really do all turn red in Oct.
I was just so excited to have peppers so early...
Thanks for jogging my memory...

Jeanne

Angelique...Jimmy Nardellos taste good green, I know from experience.
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote