Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 23, 2019   #436
imp
Tomatovillian™

I do love reading this thread, so many ideas and so many work arounds, too.
Old December 23, 2019   #437
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I've been working to breed some delicious early determinates, Tormato, but so far the ones close to ready are all blacks... sorry! Unless you want to call some of them "dark pink"
I have a yellow project in the works, but will require a big growout to find a determinate with the desired taste.

I'd have to call them "Elbonian".

Do any of the blacks you're working on have clear skin?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2019   #438
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I will certainly hammer the spelling, but that Bezassandnyi was excellent this year for me. It was good outside, and I had a plant in the GH that was very good. I obtained the seed a few years ago, this year was by far the best tasting.

How would you compare the flavor to Mat-Su Express?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2020   #439
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Debby, there a lot of early tomato varieties from Soviet Union which match your charactericts. Need more detailed description and photo.

Actually many or early Soviet/Russian varieties are really tasty, but is only you like old-fashioned tangy-sweet combination like me

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2020   #440
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year, my project was unsuccessful due to the root disease of all my tomatoes, which they obtained from the substrate used to grow the seedlings. I tried a lot of new varieties (Forest Fire, Silvery Fir Tree, Yorkbec, Red Siberian, Beaveloger Slicer, etc.) and today I don't know anything about them at all. Although I still have some seeds left of many of those varieties, I decided not to experiment much with different varieties in the coming season. I will plant only five varieties with which I already have some experience - Sophie's choice, Jagodka, Maglia Rosa, 0-33, Sarayev Gruntovyi and one new variety EM Champion. I bought a German professional substrate Gramoflor for growing seedlings and I will only use new plastic cups. I hope to avoid the diseases that afflicted my tomatoes all season. I will start sowing sometime around November 15th.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2020   #441
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if anyone here has tried Park's Season Starter? It is an F1 determinate and early, and supposedly does not crack or split (important to me!). I'm growing it next spring for the first time.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2020   #442
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
and one new variety EM Champion.
EM Champion is excellent, but I found Danko is a shorter plant which might be better for your hot bed. Here is a picture of Danko (in the foreground) and you can see it only grew up to the first set of rings of the cage. It definitely stayed about 1 foot tall. The plant on the left is also a Danko and you can see the top of the cage is open there too. The two plants in behind are EM Champion and they were covered in flowers, but had not set fruit at the time. The EM Champion directly behind the Danko is already growing above cage so it is a couple of feet tall. Every fruit in the picture is on the same Danko plant, and later in the summer it was absolutely covered in med/large fruit. It was so remarkable growing here in Zone 3A that I saved seeds. Ping me if you want to try it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Danko.jpg (227.8 KB, 174 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; November 5, 2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Readability
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2020   #443
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I wonder if anyone here has tried Park's Season Starter? It is an F1 determinate and early, and supposedly does not crack or split (important to me!). I'm growing it next spring for the first time.
Yes I grew it for one season and was not impressed. Here are my notes: "2016 - slow, small, very limited fruit production. Not worth growing again" And then I gave the seeds away.

The best early determinant varieties for me remain Saraev 0-33 and Saraev Druzhnya, but overall my best earlies are indeterminate and include the CZ varieties Start S F1 and Toro F1, and a pleasant surprise this year was Burpee's Honey Delight F1, which I would describe as a tasty yellow variant of Burpee's Fourth of July F1. The DTM Burpee shows for HD F1 is way, way too high. Start S F1 is really excellent for earliness, taste and production, and Vladimir put some nice pictures of it in the Tomatobase. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Start_F1. The picture in the top row titled "Start F1 – ripening fruits" is very representative of what the plant & fruit look like.

Last edited by RJGlew; November 5, 2020 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Readability
Old November 5, 2020   #444
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Debby, there a lot of early tomato varieties from Soviet Union which match your charactericts. Need more detailed description and photo.

Actually many or early Soviet/Russian varieties are really tasty, but is only you like old-fashioned tangy-sweet combination like me
Hi Andrey,

I tried Красная Армия F1 this summer and it was a fantastic producer, and just as you describe, the taste is "old-fashioned tangy-sweet combination."

https://www.ailita.ru/catalog/tomat/38155/
Old December 10, 2020   #445
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Hi Robert,
I like the cages in which you have those bush tomatoes. How satisfied are you with them? I would like to make a few of them and I would need their dimensions (diameters of the circles and the height of the circles above the ground). Thanks.
Vladimír
Old December 13, 2020   #446
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Robert,
I like the cages in which you have those bush tomatoes. How satisfied are you with them? I would like to make a few of them and I would need their dimensions (diameters of the circles and the height of the circles above the ground). Thanks.
Vladimír
Hi Vladimir,

Those cages are standard items from most of our big box stores like Home Depot & Lowes. They are inexpensive and very good for low growing determinates like Danko, 0-33, etc.
Old December 14, 2020   #447
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

They don't sell anything like that here. That's why I need dimensions to do something like that.
Vladimír
PS.:I have already sown determinant tomatoes. 0-33, Sarayev Gruntovyi, Maglia Rosa, Betalux, Sophie's choice, Jagodka and one EM Champion.
Old December 14, 2020   #448
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

It's -18 out today, so I'll wait for it to warm up a bit before I venture out and do some measurements. However, here is a link to the Lowes product with measurements:

Tomato Cage

Your determinate list looks good. I've not grown Betalux so I will be interested to hear about it. Best of luck with your season,

rg

Quote:
They don't sell anything like that here. That's why I need dimensions to do something like that.
Vladimír
PS.:I have already sown determinant tomatoes. 0-33, Sarayev Gruntovyi, Maglia Rosa, Betalux, Sophie's choice, Jagodka and one EM Champion.
Old December 14, 2020   #449
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I found it and that's enough for me. You don't have to bother with any measurements. I wish you a nice day (and also a night).
Vladimír
Old December 14, 2020   #450
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Vladimir,
I found out that I had registered here. God knows how many years ago. They have very nice smilies here.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote