Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old December 2, 2018   #31
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I'm jumping on the Mitoya bandwagon - just ordered the seeds from Baker Creek (still free shipping). I also ordered Aswad.

SEED SAVING:
Peppers seem to cross more than tomatoes. What about eggplant? Pretty easy to seed save of do I have to bag blossoms?

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2018   #32
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

I haven't really tasted an eggplant that I didn't like. For 2018, my small eggplant list
is:
Thai Green- Haven't grown it in a long time, and I like it.
Rosita- New for me
Snake of Mugla- New for me
Kamo, if I get it for the MMMM Mystery Swap
Left over ping tung long seed from last year.

I have read that to save Eggplant seed you need to let it get yellow and kind of mushy inside. I guess a little rotten, and then you extract the seeds and dry them.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2018   #33
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

This year was the first to try planting eggplants. It was a success, they seem to require smaller pots than tomatoes for the same production in weight. It was an unknown white, great production on smallish plants, very good grilled (good creamy texture), but not good in the usual eggplant salad that I do (very little taste).
So next year I will try one of each: Ping Tung, Thai Long Green, Kamo and probably Aragon F1 or Madonna F1 depending on what I find.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #34
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

I'm really tempted to try Mitoyo or Kamo but one eggplant plant is really enough. The Millionaire grown last year provided a ton and there's still plenty of seed. I get tired of eating it and they're hard to give away. Still.... I'm tempted.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2018   #35
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Ok, I'm jumping on the Mitoya bandwagon - just ordered the seeds from Baker Creek (still free shipping). I also ordered Aswad.

SEED SAVING:
Peppers seem to cross more than tomatoes. What about eggplant? Pretty easy to seed save of do I have to bag blossoms?

Jeff
Hey, do you want to swap a few seeds of Mitoya for Snake of Mugla eggplant, just got the seeds from Baker Creek? If not, no biggie.

Linda
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2018   #36
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Hey, do you want to swap a few seeds of Mitoya for Snake of Mugla eggplant, just got the seeds from Baker Creek? If not, no biggie.

Linda
Linda:

Absolutely! My law partner's wife is Turkish so I looked at the Mugla - she remembers her Father growing the small orange eggplant - haven't asked her about the snake.

I'll PM you. If anyone else is interested - just PM me.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #37
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

We're also growing out Snake of Mugla this year -- interested to hear how it does for y'all!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2019   #38
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Snake of Mugla impressions: later than other eggplants by 2-4 weeks (some of this might be due to older seed that was slower to germinate). Big, sprawling plants (less upright than other eggplants), would probably benefit from staking. Getting more production now -- moderate producer so far. Neat looking fruits (long, skinny, usually S-shaped like a snake) -- a few times I've looked at plants out of the corner of my eye, and thought for a second that I was seeing a black snake!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote