Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old November 16, 2014   #166
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Karen and Kay, I'll PM you later!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; November 16, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2014   #167
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I am really looking forward to trying these. Our little cold snap is only going to last for 2 days and then it will be back in the 70s again. It would be so easy to be able to move these inside when its cold and be able to put them back out again.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2014   #168
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Karen and Kay, seeds went out today.

Chris

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old November 18, 2014   #169
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much Chris, I will treat them like family or house pets maybe. I miss the smell of tomato foliage and look forward to a little science project over winter!
K
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2014   #170
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. I can't wait to start them. We are having an unusual freeze here but it is going to be back to 80 by Sunday. I moved 13 tomato plants ranging from dwarfs to 8 ft tall heirlooms in to the garage since they were loaded with tomatoes. I kept thinking how nice it would have been to be moving the micros instead. And since it is too hot to grow in July & August I think they will be great then too.
Old November 24, 2014   #171
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

My seeds arrived today in one of the USPS special envelopes they use when they mangle mail. The envelope you sent them in was ripped and it looked like it had got caught in some type of machine. The seeds were in perfect condition though so I can get these started this week. Thanks again for sharing.
Old December 2, 2014   #172
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I planted all 30 seeds on 11/24. There are 25 that have germinated with possibly a 26th. One is trying to come up but looks weak so I may pull it. A couple are starting to put on the first set of true leaves. There are two plants that have much smaller leaves than the others. It will be interesting to see what happens as they grow out.
Old December 2, 2014   #173
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you very much Chris, I was away for a week and the seeds you sent were here when we got back. Looking forward to growing them out, they should be mostly stable in the F4? what are you looking for most in the seed you sent so I can select for the traits you are looking for most if there is any variation among them still. maximum height, etc.
I will get my lights out right after Christmas as there is no room for a tree and my light stand at the same time.
Happy holidays to you and yours and thanks again! I hope you will try one of my crosses as soon as I have something stable enough to send. I am only at F3 next season with mine.
Karen
Old December 7, 2014   #174
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Some pictures of an F5. 3" tall and first flower buds developing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micro1.jpg (634.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg micro2.jpg (500.0 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg microflower.jpg (571.0 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg microleaf2.jpg (509.8 KB, 202 views)

Old December 7, 2014   #175
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

So cute. Perfect miniatures
Old December 7, 2014   #176
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

That is so impressive. I stepped up my 26 HMCC F4s into 2 inch pots this weekend. There are only two that look a little iffy. The rest look good so far.
Old December 11, 2014   #177
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

I have 10 of your multiflora plants growing. They are very healthy and uniform. The first photo shows all 10. They are about 6-7 inches tall and are starting to blossom. I can't tell yet how heavy the fruit set will be. How much variation should I expect in size, color, productiuon, etc?

These were planted on October 21, potted up on November 15 and planted in the one gallon container on November 26.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 141210-all mmfs.jpg (331.2 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 141210-mmf6.jpg (267.4 KB, 174 views)
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2014   #178
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

They look awesome, thanks for posting!

I have no idea how good the production will be, that'll be influenced by genetics and environment. The F2s were loaded (grown in the summer outside though) despite the fact that many blossoms don't set in multifloras. I would expect some reds and pinks and various shapes. All plants should be multiflora. Fruit size will be all cherry-grape. The F2 had surprisingly good sweet flavor. Toss any spitters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
I have 10 of your multiflora plants growing. They are very healthy and uniform. The first photo shows all 10. They are about 6-7 inches tall and are starting to blossom. I can't tell yet how heavy the fruit set will be. How much variation should I expect in size, color, productiuon, etc?

These were planted on October 21, potted up on November 15 and planted in the one gallon container on November 26.

Old December 11, 2014   #179
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I wish I had the sort of sunlight to be had in Utah at this time of year. The few micro-tomatoes I have growing right now are doing fine, but growing tall for lack of light.
Old December 11, 2014   #180
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Our day length is only 9 hours and a few minutes. I have grow lights on the micros from 7:00 am until 8:00 pm. That seems to be keeping themn from getting leggy - at least for now. I do have extremely good southern exposure which allows for good light on sunny days. The indeterminates that I have growing in Earthtainers without grow lights were topped when they reached 7 feet and hit the ceiling of the sunroom. That is taller than anything I grew outside this summer. They are producing well, but are definitely stretching out.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote