Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2013   #1
Melissa569
Tomatovillian™

Default Manipulating Tomato Flavor?

Does anybody know any tricks to manipulate the flavor of a tomato, during the growth process?

In general, I love a VERY tomato-y taste. More specifically, a "sweet and savory" taste. Very close to the flavor of Prego spaghetti sauce I guess you could say. lol.

So normally, I prefer the red tomatoes (the darker the better) or even the black and purple ones. Especially heirloom.

The smaller tomatoes (like cherry) seem to be the closest to what I'm looking for. But I'm trying to get bigger tomatoes to taste more like that.

Any ideas? Is it possible? Or is it more about breed, than growing tricks?
Old March 16, 2013   #2
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Yes.

1. Select varieties known for excellent flavor profiles that match your tastes.

2. Optimize the tastes of the above varieties by using natural things like rock dust and compost to increase the mineral content and complexity of your soil.

3. Avoid products that will decrease your plants ability to take up minerals. (Keep your soil complex, alive and thriving with billions of natural creatures. Don't sterilize it, compact it or treat it badly).

4. Decrease watering when you see the first tinge of color on the fruit to avoid watered down tastes.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Be sure your soil is not too alkaline. I have found that tomatoes from slightly more acid soil seem to have more of that old time flavor.

Avoid using most of the hybrid varieties as many are lacking in flavor. There are exceptions and you will find plenty of them on this forum.

If you really want a lot of flavor then grow some of the better black tomatoes; but plant them later so they are maturing during the very hottest time of the year. You will have less in numbers and they won't be as large but the flavor is amazing. A few that I have found that really benefit from the later planting are Indian Stripe, Spudakee, Carbon, Dana's Dusky Rose, Paul Robison, Cherokee Purple, JDs Special C Tex and of course Black Krim.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #4
Melissa569
Tomatovillian™

Thanks you guys, I will keep all this in mind. There are still some new varieties I would like to add.
Old March 16, 2013   #5
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I second what Stacy said about watering. If you hold back with the water as they ripen, the flavor will intensify, but be careful of drastic changes in water uptake which could cause the skins to crack.
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #6
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

!) Get a soil test, and get your soil nutrents in balance
2) Test a LOT of varieties. Taste per-variety varies by location. Experiment.
2) Stress (especially water) your plants during the ripeing phase. This will reduce your harvest considerably in both size and number of fruit. But they will taste amazing. I always water stress during ripeing because I grow 800+ plants and can afford the reduced harvest, your needs may differ.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #7
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Just out of interest. Last year due to the drought we had a shortage of Toms available for canning, so off to the Farmers market. We found the same variety that I normally grow. What a shock the flavour was totally different than the one we grew, tasteless and insipid.
Will not buy in again, much prefer our taste.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2013   #8
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
Just out of interest. Last year due to the drought we had a shortage of Toms available for canning, so off to the Farmers market. We found the same variety that I normally grow. What a shock the flavour was totally different than the one we grew, tasteless and insipid.
Will not buy in again, much prefer our taste.

noticed the same thing from a local farmers market. same varieties and crap flavor compared to mine

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #9
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

The flavor of a tomato is first based of its genetic potential for that particular type of tomato.
1. minerals that are lacking to reach its genetic potential.
2. climate
3. disease

All these things can change the taste of a tomato. If all the requirements are met and you have reached the potential taste of the tomato, you can reduce watering during the ripening phase to intensify the flavor. Reaching the genetic potential of a tomato is trying to raise a tomato plant perfectly. Its the ultimate goal of anyone who grows anything and is the reason why most of us come to this forum.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #10
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

If you're making sauce and you prefer the taste of cherry tomatoes, why not grow a lot of them and run thru a food mill to separate the skins/seeds, then reduce down to a sauce?
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #11
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
If you're making sauce and you prefer the taste of cherry tomatoes, why not grow a lot of them and run thru a food mill to separate the skins/seeds, then reduce down to a sauce?
I think Melissa was just referring to the taste of prego sauce not making sauce.

Melissa I would look for a tomato that suits your taste rather then trying to change the flavor of a existing one. Unless you don't mind taking the time to cross breeding several types of tomatoes to try and get what you want. It takes a enormous amount of time and effort.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
I think Melissa was just referring to the taste of prego sauce not making sauce.

Melissa I would look for a tomato that suits your taste rather then trying to change the flavor of a existing one. Unless you don't mind taking the time to cross breeding several types of tomatoes to try and get what you want. It takes a enormous amount of time and effort.
I agree with the above in terms of finding tomato varieties whose tastes you like. There are about 15-20 K OP varieties out there and what I think it takes is taking a look at those that appeal to you and growing them. And not for just one season if you're really high on a variety. There are many variables that go into taste in terms of where grown, how grown, what amendments are used and if so which ones how much and when, and for sure the weather in any given season,

And I agree that the primary determinants for taste are the genes that a variety has.

No one can really tell you anything about the taste of a variety, I mean they can, but since taste is personal and perceptual and even has a human genetic factor involved it's up to you to assess the taste of varieties that you grow depending on all of the variables I mentioned above.

If you read here at Tville you'll see someone praising this or that variety and some others saying they'd never grow it again.

I also would suggest that you look beyond just red and dark colored varieties as you mentioned above.

I've grown well over 3,000 varieties now and there are some wonderful tasting pinks and yellow/golds that come to mind as well as some green when ripes .

I know it's rather daunting to folks just starting to grow OP varieties b/c there are so many, but heck, that's part of the fun of developing a full flavored tomato obsession.

Carolyn
Old March 17, 2013   #13
chastom
Tomatovillian™

How about planting companion plants with the toms ,like basil ,this is said to enhance flavor .
chastom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #14
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Melissa,
Carolyn's absolutly right that no one can tell you what a tomato tastes like. That said, try Bianca Grande. It's a white bicolor (really very light yellow with a pink blush inside), for me it makes fantastic, sweeter (Prego-type) yellow sauce. Also Ernie's Plump, which is my all time favorite sauce tomato. Rich and "creamy" for lack of a better word. And crazy productive. I actually crossed it to both Porkchop and Coyote last year with the goal of creating a sweeter version (more like Prego). I'm growing the F1's this year (would be willing to send out a couple seeds) or I'd be more than happy to send you a bunch of F2's in the fall if you were interested in joining the grow-out project.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2013   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMc View Post
Melissa,
Carolyn's absolutly right that no one can tell you what a tomato tastes like. That said, try Bianca Grande. It's a white bicolor (really very light yellow with a pink blush inside), for me it makes fantastic, sweeter (Prego-type) yellow sauce. Also Ernie's Plump, which is my all time favorite sauce tomato. Rich and "creamy" for lack of a better word. And crazy productive. I actually crossed it to both Porkchop and Coyote last year with the goal of creating a sweeter version (more like Prego). I'm growing the F1's this year (would be willing to send out a couple seeds) or I'd be more than happy to send you a bunch of F2's in the fall if you were interested in joining the grow-out project.
Paddy,many light yellow and so called whites have a pink blush inside, sometimes only on the inside, but that doesn't make them a bicolor b'c it's fairly well known that temps can also be involved with those pink splashes on the inside as well as at the blossom end.

A true bicolor, as in two colors,always has two colors on the exterior and the seconday exterior color to develop on the inside.

A true bicolor is one that starts out one color,most often yellow/gold, then a second exterior color, usually pinkish red, starts from the blossom end and colors the fruit on the exterior to varying degrees near the stem end, depending on the specific variety.

Are we talking paste varieties for sauce here,just a general question, so I went back to the first post and Melissa said nothning about paste varieties or other varieties many use for sauce, just that she liked the taste of commercial Prego sauce.

Melissa?

Carolyn

Tags
flavor , tomato