Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old December 17, 2007   #16
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I got my garlic from two different places. Gourmet Garlic Gardens and Filaree Farms.

As Rena says, order early. Best time to order is starting early as June - July because that's right after most people would harvest and get the info up on their websites to order. They tend to run out of the rare types rather quickly. I ordered late May from Bob this year, and from Filaree Farms in mid-June. In my opinion, it's probably also best to pick the earliest shipping window and hold onto it yourself until planting time, so you're sure that they don't run out. It's all harvested around the same time anyway, so ordering later won't make it any fresher...
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2007   #17
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

When I run out of my homegrown stash (and I always do), I turn to SSE, specifically MN GI J and ... I think it's WA JO C. Always been satisfied with what they've sent. Joel usually sells out quickly; Carrie once was able to send me heads in February so I was able to get a Spring planting in.

This year, I planted 350 cloves, a combination of cloves grown at home, SSE, a Martha's Vineyard farmer's market, and those picture-perfect looking store-bought things grown in China. I want to get to the point where I have enough for cooking, planting stock, THEN offer some at SSE.

J
Old December 31, 2007   #18
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Wow, so many different varieties. We don't have access to quite as many. And as for me, I just plant whatever garlic I can lay my hands on at planting time, which isn't until March/April here.
Old January 7, 2008   #19
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

We only have access to one variety unless we import. Since we are experiencing winter here is whet it looked like earlier:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_0629.jpg (407.8 KB, 83 views)
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2008   #20
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I thought other warm zone/Southern growers might find my results useful or interesting, so here goes:

This year, because it got hot so early, it may have forced early maturity for the ones that did not manage to form multiple cloves. Overall, I'm very pleased with my results, though. I harvested in two waves based on when the different types looked ready - May 9 and May 20.

Of the Creole types, the following seemed to do the best in terms of size and clove formation: Ajo Rojo (the largest), Burgundy, Creole Red, and Cuban Purple. Labera Purple and Pescadero Red were a bit smaller, but still turned out nicely. Spanish Benitee was also on the small side, and did not consistently form multiple cloves.

Artichoke types also did well for me, and all were able to form multiples. Inchelium Red and Simoneti gave me the largest heads, Italian Purple was just a little smaller.

Results were mixed with the Asiatic/Turban types. Red Janice produced some nice large heads, while Korean Red, Wonha, and Asian Tempest were smaller and did not consistently form multiples.

Metechi, a Marbled Purple Stripe, did not always form multiple cloves.

Anyone else with variety results they'd like to share?

Edit - one more thing, it's now time to start thinking about placing your garlic orders for fall planting before the various vendors run out of the largest heads, best/rare types, etc. Don't wait too long.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2008   #21
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I must ask around about types. Thanks for the reminder.

We harvested last week and the misses has already started giving it away. I was hoping to see some of the scapes that I hear about but, all of a sudden my garden man has dug it all up.
Cannot even show you a plant it is all cut down to the bulbs and bagged.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2008   #22
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Suze, I always plant in October and into November if I haven't planted in October. The plants almost always sprout a few inches into the fall. I won't harvest until probably late July or August. It's been such a coolish spring that I wonder what will happen.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2010   #23
bloosquall
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Here is some Elephant then some Chesnok plants, The Chesnok looks like a crab when it's little like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elephant 3.15.10.JPG (229.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Chesnok 3.15.10.JPG (167.0 KB, 32 views)
bloosquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2010   #24
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Most of mine look like onions that sprouted in the back of the pantry - twisted and yellow from being under leaf mulch - so I won't bother exciting you all with pictures. Some are invisible, or maybe rodents killed them while burrowing under the mulch. I have Chesnook and Klaver from bloosquall.

All in all they are starting to look happier. The snow finaly melted off last week when it hit 65-70. That was some deep snow for around here.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2010   #25
BlackestKrim
Tomatovillian™

I planted Tempest, Inchelium Red, Italian Purple, Metechi, a few other varieties I can't recall, and Elephant garlic. I originally planted just 2 elephant garlics but then saw some starting to sprout in the HEB produce section- and they were cheaper than the official planting garlic!

I don't have pictures as I am out of town, but they look about the same as Suze's. I just had to move them to the hops bed so we could improve the crap clay soil they were in, but they seemed to have taken the transfer fine.

This is my first year growing garlic. I have no idea when to harvest them aside waiting for the leaves to fall over. (And I think Elephant Garlic is a leek, right?)
BlackestKrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2010   #26
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

This years crop is just above the mulch and recovering from winter, but here are some photos of last years crop

TomNJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7878s.jpg (429.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7973s.jpg (128.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_7983s.jpg (179.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8005s.jpg (285.9 KB, 31 views)
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2010   #27
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i don't have a digital camera so i can't post any pictures.

i went out today and removed some mulch today and found 1" to 3" sprouts. so i removed all the shredded leaves to let them dry out then i'll add back 1".

the hardnecks are all up but the 1 softneck i'm growing, chamiskuri, has only a few plants coming up. it's odd to see the north half of the bed full of pale green shoots and the south half has almost nothing. i suspect this is because the hard necks in the basement are sprouting and the softnecks aren't ie the softnecks take a little longer to grow outside but they'll catch up i'm sure.

it is always so cool to see new green growth so early in the year.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2010   #28
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Garlic at the end of this clip - took a brief walk around the plants this morning.

http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/1/post...lk-update.html
Old March 26, 2010   #29
bloosquall
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I have a request, I doing a study on Music and German White to see if I can find much if any difference in them. Maybe ya'll who grow those can take a picture of the plant and maybe leave a scape on one of each to see if there is a difference Thank you.

-bloo
bloosquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2010   #30
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

I'm NOT a sophisticated grower of GARLIC but thought I'd give it a try last November when I bought some heads of garlic from our local Giant Food Market, separated the cloves and planted them. They ALL sprouted....then the HARD WINTER WEATHER came to the Delaware Valley. Now, a few months later...with more moderate, but wet conditions, the garlic leaves....now about 4---5 inches tall..... are showing signs of LIFE! In July, we'll see what God hath wroth!!!!!
LarryD