Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2018   #1
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Default BER ?

I have 3 Brad's atomic grape that have been suffering from ber. Last week I bought some lime and watered more frequently to try to lessen the spread of it. My largest tomatoes I picked still have it and was wondering if the season is shot or will they recoup and not have it through the rest of the season.
lexxluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #2
taboule
Tomatovillian™

We still have ~6 weeks of the growing season, especially for smaller fruit. I'd improve the watering schedule (as you have) and try Magnesium if you haven't already. New fruit can still grow well.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2018   #3
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Thanks greatly appreciated.
Old August 26, 2018   #4
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

I grow in containers. This year I bought calcium nitrate and put some in each pot about 2 weeks ahead of planting. I also added some more about 2 weeks after planting. Just put some in the dirt, scratched it in, then watered. Was careful to not apply it close to plant stems. Had little to no ber on anything including the San Marzanos. No plants burned up, either.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #5
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Without the calcium nitrate, most of my plants eventually "outgrew" their b e r. But a few didn't, mostly San Marzanos, and produced few usable tomatoes. Had the same issue with La Roma 2.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2018   #6
lexxluthor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCow333 View Post
I grow in containers. This year I bought calcium nitrate and put some in each pot about 2 weeks ahead of planting. I also added some more about 2 weeks after planting. Just put some in the dirt, scratched it in, then watered. Was careful to not apply it close to plant stems. Had little to no ber on anything including the San Marzanos. No plants burned up, either.

Thanks for the tips.