Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 23, 2014   #1
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Default Confession: My Tomatoes Taste Horrid

At the farmer's market today a lady was giving me a grilling about my tomatoes.
"What variety are these?"
"Joseph's Earliest Landrace, a variety specific to my farm that I have spent 6 years developing."
"What do they taste like?"
"They taste horrid. You can try one if you like."
"These are lovely! Tart and sweet, full of flavor!"
"Really?"
"Yup, don't you like tomatoes?"
"Um.... Err... Uh... You're right, I think that tomatoes are a horrid fruit."

There I have finally admitted it. I don't like tomatoes. To confirm I went to the garden and tasted about 50 unique varieties. Every one of them was dreadful. Some less dreadful than others, but ugh!!!

Last edited by joseph; August 23, 2014 at 10:19 PM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #2
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Your tomatoes taste great. You just have horrid taste!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2014   #3
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Your tomatoes taste great. You just have horrid taste!
And I should never question my wives' judgement, because look who they married.
Old August 24, 2014   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
They probably succumbed to the side effects of eating landrace veggies you lured them with
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
How many do you have?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Your kidding right.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #7
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

well he is in utah i believe
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #8
jflournoy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
How many do you have?
First question that came to my mind, too Not sure if he's joking or serious.
jflournoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2014   #9
joseph
Tomatovillian™

LOL. I'll leave you guessing, other than to say that the recent decriminalization of "cohabitation" in Utah has brought most welcome peace of mind to me and my family. It's been a long time coming.

I offered a lady a tomato to taste at the farmer's market tonight. She said, "No, I think raw tomatoes taste horrid." Ha! I've found my soul mate.

Last edited by joseph; September 12, 2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old September 12, 2014   #10
drew51
Tomatovillian™

"Woman are like elephants to me, I like to look at them, but I wouldn't want one in my house!" - W.C. Fields
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2014   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

it is either
one too many
or two too few.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2014   #12
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

Joe
you grow pounds of tomatoes but can't stand the taste of them?
how can you or anyone else grow home grown tomatoes and not get adicted to the taste of a ripe tomatoe picked off the vine ??
i give you credit for growing them but i feel sorry for you. there is no fruit or vegetable better than a home grown tomatoe.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2014   #13
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I really can't see the allure of raw tomatoes. They are too acidic and not sweet enough for my liking. I grow fresh-eating tomatoes for other people, not for myself.

All of the following taste better to me than home grown tomatoes: Muskmelons, watermelon, apples, pears, grapes, sweet corn, cucumbers, sweet peppers, etc...

After I became aware of how distasteful tomatoes are to me, I have tasted more raw tomatoes in the last month or so than in the previous 5 years combined. It's been a horrible experience. I mostly don't spit them out, but I throw away a lot of fruit that has just a small bite taken out of it. <Shudders>

For what it's worth, I think that elderberries and garden huckleberries taste worse than tomatoes.
Old September 21, 2014   #14
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I really can't see the allure of raw tomatoes. They are too acidic and not sweet enough for my liking. I grow fresh-eating tomatoes for other people, not for myself.

All of the following taste better to me than home grown tomatoes: Muskmelons, watermelon, apples, pears, grapes, sweet corn, cucumbers, sweet peppers, etc...

After I became aware of how distasteful tomatoes are to me, I have tasted more raw tomatoes in the last month or so than in the previous 5 years combined. It's been a horrible experience. I mostly don't spit them out, but I throw away a lot of fruit that has just a small bite taken out of it. <Shudders>

For what it's worth, I think that elderberries and garden huckleberries taste worse than tomatoes.

Elderberries and huckleberries are awesome! I like the acid taste, I seek it out, but I don't usually eat many tomatoes. Not like I don't like them, more like cucumbers, I like them in dishes and salads but would rarely just eat them.
I grow a lot of acid fruit, currants are my favorite fruit. I grow acid peaches too, I hate the low acid stuff, absolutely tasteless. Why not just eat high fructose corn syrup? As much fruit tastes just like it! All sugar no taste. I call them corn syrup fruits.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2014   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Well, Joseph.... I've seen you post in other threads that you have no time for any non-red tomatoes, because there's no market. Fair enough.
Jagodka is your great producer, and I totally appreciate the value of an 88 days seed to ripe tomato, but they are exactly as you describe, acid as heck, nowhere near premium for fresh eating. Yep, the ones I grew were horrid.
Your customers may like them because tomatoes are expensive to buy, and as such you only get a limited quantity of them. Even an acid tomato in a small amount is better than no tomato, for sure. Oh wow. It's a fresh tomato. In June. No kidding.
Since I'm growing primarily for my own and family's food, I have a compromise position for what do I want in a tomato,, between 'any tomato that I can get to grow with passive energy inputs' and 'tomatoes I not only want to eat when they are scarce, but still want to eat after a month of eating a pound of tomatoes every #$$# day'.

I had to ask myself not only, are there OP tomatoes that could be commercial producers in the field here, but also, how good can a really great tomato taste? After a few years of trials, it's pretty clear to me that a great tomato can be awesome. And some tomatoes could be commercial producers in the field or at least in the greenhouse here. There isn't a big intersection of those sets. So breeding tomatoes becomes an interesting prospect.....

If I ever come up with a great tasting round red 88 day tomato, you'll have to try em. It's a horrid business, enit?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote