Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 25, 2010   #1
creister
Tomatovillian™

Default Is 6 hours enough?

I was wondering if 6.25 hrs of direct sun is enough light? A few of my plants only get that and the rest is shade. Never really noticed it until this year. I always have read that no shade is best for tomatoes.

The time is from 12:15 to 6:30. I know this will increase as we head to the summer solstice.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2010   #2
brog
Tomatovillian™

I have had good luck with 6 hours of direct sun. I beleive more would be better but I have no choice. I get good production and have some toms setting fruit in Aug.(not BW) Bill in Atlanta Ga.
Old April 26, 2010   #3
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

I want to believe that 6 cumulative hours would be enough. My exposure changes thru the day because of some very tall trees in my yard. If I'm wrong, then I hope I make up for it with the Magnesium in my foliar sprays.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #4
Marko
Tomatovillian™

One of my neighbors get only 4 hours of sun, 10.30am - 2.30pm and his tomatoes grow just fine. They ripen one week later and yield a little less, but otherwise they are doing well.
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2010   #5
creister
Tomatovillian™

Based on your replies and a few from some growers in my area, I will not lose any sleep over this. Especially since this is some of the most intense sunshine of the day.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote