Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 16, 2008   #1
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Default WHAT IS YA'LLS OPINION ON THESE VARIETIES

I AM CONSIDERING ORDERING THESE FOUR TYPES THAT IVE NEVER GROWN BEFORE, BUT BEFORE I DO I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU FOLKS ABOUT THEIR PEODUCTIVITY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TASTE..
AMANA ORANGE,STUPICE, BLACK PLUM, AND MONEY MAKER..THANKS GIZZARD
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2008   #2
grungy
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Have grown the first three and were impressed with the production and flavor.
grungy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2008   #3
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've grown the Black Plum and love it. Flavor is good to me. It's about large Grape size but not as big as Juliet. Productive like cherrys are.

I like Stupice too. It's quite early tho rather small, maybe a bit bigger than a golf ball.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #4
camochef
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Stupice for the first time this year. Had two of them, they produced many hundreds of small tomatoes, larger than a ping pong ball but smaller than a tennis ball. Very prolific, but they tasted rather bland. I have no intention of growing it again this year as there are so many better tasting tomatoes out there to choose from.
They might do better down your way, this was also a very bad year for tomatoes here in my area!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #5
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

Have grown all of them but gave Stupice the flick probably for the same reasons as Camo. Always grow Black Plum as has good flavour, size and is prolific. MM is a good reliable tom here in Oz and a popular size and AO has good flavour but is a bit thin-skinned which doesn't worry me a lot.
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZARDFARM View Post
I AM CONSIDERING ORDERING THESE FOUR TYPES THAT IVE NEVER GROWN BEFORE, BUT BEFORE I DO I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU FOLKS ABOUT THEIR PEODUCTIVITY AND MOST IMPORTANTLY TASTE..
AMANA ORANGE,STUPICE, BLACK PLUM, AND MONEY MAKER..THANKS GIZZARD
I've grown all four.

Amana Orange is what I grew until Kellogg's Breakfast appeared and then more recently a PL version of KB appeared which I think is even better, so I'd grow KB for better taste than Amana Orange and KBX, the PL version of KB if available. All three have always been productive for me but I prefer KB for taste.

Stupice puts out lots of fruits and is pretty early, but for a bit better taste I think I'd grow Matina, a lookalike, for better taste and also consider Kimberley as well. All are very productive but I think that taste is best with Matina.

Black PLum is also very productive but I just do not like the taste of it.

Moneymaker is an old British variety and while it produces well I don't like the taste of it or any of the older British varieties.

Just my personal opinions about taste.
Old December 17, 2008   #7
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Black Plum production machine...

Old December 17, 2008   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Stupice has never been bland for me and always the first one picked. I think it was a wonderful taste. Production is off the charts. Great salad tomato or just shoving one in your mouth while bringing others to the kitchen.

Have it almost every year.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have tried to grow Amana Orange 3 times and don't have a good opinion of it, it just doesn't do well for (((ME))) here in Texas.
Kelloggs Breakfast is a much better choice.
Just blow off all of the hype about Amana Orange and grow the latter, you wont be sorry.
Black plum was grown for the first time last year and I am very happy with it.
It put out fruit all summer long, that alone says a lot for me and it.
A real must grow for the south.

You should also try Home Stead and or Break O Day

If you havent grown Cherokee Purple you simply must grow this tomato you wont be sorry.

Just remember some of the folks that like or dislike tomatoes are very far from you and that alone will make a differance in productivety and taste due to climate.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #10
camochef
Tomatovillian™

I have to agree with Caroline and worth1, Kellogg's Breakfast is a great tomato! Creamy texture, wonderful taste. I discovered last year that the amount of water it gets makes a difference. The first year I grew it, the early ones tasted great but as the summer progressed they got somewhat mushy tasting. Then I realized that many that raved about it were in dryer climates. So this past year I withheld water from them until they showed they needed it and they did much better throughout the entire year. They became my favorite Yellow/orange tomato. Dr. Wyche's Yellow is the other favorite. ( I do plant my tomatoes much deeper than most people do).
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #11
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

If you want an early salad-type, I recommend Aurora. I agree with the others, Stupice is fine, but the flavor isn't quite as good as Aurora.

I've grown Amana Orange and I would also recommend KBX (the PL version of Kellogg's Breakfast) as being better flavored. Also, KB (or KBX) have always finished the year strong for me, putting out tomatoes when others have trailed off.

I haven't grown the others, so I have no comment.

Here's the bottom line: everyone has their favorite varieties, and certain varieties seem to do better in different soils/temperatures/humidities/etc. I say, grow all four on your list AND KBX, Matina, Aurora, etc. and see what does best for *you*. Keep in mind, though: from year to year, the same variety can taste and perform very differently. There are some consistently good ones, but I've had varieties taste great one year and average the next. Is it the variety? Probably not. It's most likely the conditions. For this reason, I try to grow a given variety twice before cast my ballot.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #12
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

I have only grown Stupice, and only once, but I wasn't impresssed. It was early and productive, but half of the tomato had a green shoulder, and not being very big to begin with you had to cut off half of the 'mater and there wasn't much left. Flavor was only so-so as well for me.

I have never heard anything good about Moneymaker. Ever. So why bother? With that said, I'm sure someone will chime in how great it was for them@!

Duane
Old December 17, 2008   #13
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Thanksy folks, i have grown KBX and cherokee purple and they will always be in my garden. I have never grown KB but intend to this year. I think ill try the black plum and stupice and leave the others alone. Gizzard
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #14
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I agree on Aurora....Much larger and better tasting than Stupice. Mano and Slava were both better tasting and more productive in my garden than Stupice too.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2008   #15
creister
Tomatovillian™

I agree with worth, Break o Day is hard to beat. Sioux is another early red with high production, and great taste. I would grow it before stupice. It is only about a week or so later.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote