Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 6, 2011   #1
whistler
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse from Pop Up Tent Frame

I have several First Up brand 10x10 pop up tents from Wally World that are great for yard sales and flea markets, etc., because they are quite sturdy and super simple to set up. I really need a greenhouse for my seedlings (since this winter doesn't seem to want to go away, but that's a rant for another day...).

The pop up tent frames just seem to be begging me to wrap them in plastic to make a greenhouse. I bought a big roll of heavy grade plastic at Lowes last year and tried to wrap the frame, securing the plastic with gorilla tape. Well, the gorilla tape was a huge failure, since it wouldn't stick to the plastic... I now have a bunch of rubber dipped metal clamps that I'm hoping will keep the plastic in place (especially the roof plastic).

Has anyone ever seen a design for this type of greenhouse? You would think that the pop up tent manufacturer would sell a greenhouse style plastic roof and wall kit that people could use on their existing tent frames - just think of the additional revenue they could generate by selling accessories to existing customers. However, I haven't been able to find anything like this online in terms of the DIY designs or the premanufactured greenhouse roof/walls kit.

My biggest concern once I get the frame wrapped is how to vent the greenhouse... I hate to cut the plastic, since that seems like it would just invite tearing in the wind.

Any suggestions on how to get this done (and not kill my seedlings!) would be appreciated.

Tent that I have:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/First-Up-1...Gazebo/8571900
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #2
cushman350
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This First Up event tent features venting panels for easy air circulation
Already vented at the top. Make 2 squares of pvc pipe and 8 90° elbows and install a flap door.

Clamps for holding plastic sheet can be made from pvc cut 1-2" and again down one side. Has good clamping force. I hold box covers on with them, but they can be snapped onto sheet wrapped around a pipe or rod of the appropriate size. Greenhouse supplies sell clamps too.

There needs to be a hand held heat fuser that would melt the sheeting together and cut it at the same time. Would make doing this a snap. There are epoxies for this and seal-a-meal type things for industry but Joe Blow needs one too.
cushman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #3
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I've seen people use thin wood strips over the plastic screwed into the frame to hold it in place. Might be able to use paint stirers if you predrill them or yardsticks. I think you may need to buy some pieces of conduit for supports in the middle of each side...maybe push 'em in the ground and wire to the frame on top. The wind is too strong not to have supports!
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure which company it is, but I know at least one of the EZ-Up type canopy makers DOES have clear vinyl sides you can buy. I think they zip together too. If you Google EZ-UP you should find it

We use the frame for one of the gable canopy shelters for a temp greenhouse in our driveway in the spring. We drape greenhouse plastic over it and nail the plastic to 2x4s along the long edges. We tie webbing over it several times and tie it to the pipes. We then put huge chunks of unsplit firewood on the 2x4s to hold them down. We use the end walls that come with the canopy for doors and ventilation.

It's not an ideal situation as we have had some problems when a big storm came thru. And if it got really cold at nite we would need a heater or plastic sheeting over the plants inside as it can be quite drafty as it isn't well sealed at all.

But we only use it for the last 3-4 weeks before our last frost date when we want to sell the plants.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2011   #5
CrazyMtn
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if this would help but it is the only sources I have found, still a little expensive. They sell tarps and frames and some of the clear fabric.
http://www.mytarp.com/clear-poly.aspx
http://www.mytarp.com/clear-plastic-fabrics.aspx
CrazyMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2011   #6
waterman1971
Tomatovillian™

Something that may work for you is a hot glue gun. I have used one to repair my boat cover on several occasions, It works really well.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011   #7
John3
Tomatovillian™

Maybe this would work for the sides
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3570P?prdNo=19
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011   #8
gardenfrog
Tomatovillian™

You have gotten me really excited about using a tent frame or a "spent" tent as a base for a greenhouse! What a great idea!!! I don't see that you have to have all sides clear. You have to have enough to draw in heat and hold it in...and a wall or two of the original tent fabric can also be used for venting. It doesn't have to be perfect... Just functional!
gardenfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011   #9
LoreD
Tomatovillian™

This might work for you. It might be a little more durable.

http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies...71_103475.html

LoreD
Old June 20, 2011   #10
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I have this brand of portable greenhouse. Started with a 10 x 10 and moved up to a 10 x 20 this year. I put it up and take it down each year. They work decently up here in Alaska.
http://www.shelterlogic.com/
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011   #11
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Lee Valley Tools have clamps etc which I think should fit the bill.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...2,2030&p=67332
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote