Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old March 10, 2014   #136
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, I was asking if you were on line (otherwise sitting typing at the keyboard).

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
Old March 12, 2014   #137
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
I'm new here but sounds like fun!

Ginny
Its been done for 2 years now. It is so much fun!

Marsha
Old April 17, 2015   #138
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I think it is a good idea.I guess we would have to take a poll and see who is growing and when thier harvest times are.Down here for me I am done at the end of Feb.So let me be the first to chime in.Kurt Homestead Florida
Hi all!, I live in arlington jacksonville fla and i have 7 plants going now (April 17th) and they are flowering and happy.
Black Krim,Cherrokee cherry,best boy,Kentucky mountain(1a),San marino and rutger as well as a tomato that sprouted in my refridgerator and have no idea what i will get (it is as strong as my san marino). i probably would be up for the tasting party but don't yet have seedlings sprouted to trade at the event although i probably could. How many do you think i might need?
Old April 17, 2015   #139
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I have not heard of any updates,scheduled tastings as of yet,maybe the coordinater ginger 2778 will chime in.
Old April 17, 2015   #140
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes, here I am.
Since my timing is so very different than those in the zones north of here, I dont do tastings. We do a plant swap every year here at my home in Plantation. That takes place in mid October. We sow seeds here in late August for an October plant out. My season is finally winding down, but won't completely be finished until early May.
Old April 17, 2015   #141
garden381
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ginger,
LOL-Plantation? I lived in Pompano beach for 30 years until 9 months ago and Sunrise prior to that since High School over at PIPER HIGH.
small world?... Anyway... I always grew in containers that i could move around due to the intense sun there but NOW, its much cooler here so i have a 1250 Sq ft inground GARDEN. A first for me but my mom lived in Connecticuit so she is familure with this.
plantation, verry funny
Old April 17, 2015   #142
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by garden381 View Post
Hi Ginger,
LOL-Plantation? I lived in Pompano beach for 30 years until 9 months ago and Sunrise prior to that since High School over at PIPER HIGH.
small world?... Anyway... I always grew in containers that i could move around due to the intense sun there but NOW, its much cooler here so i have a 1250 Sq ft inground GARDEN. A first for me but my mom lived in Connecticuit so she is familure with this.
plantation, verry funny
Small world you say? Pompano is my hometown. Technically I was born in Ft Lauderdale, but way back then, that was the only hospital in Broward county! We lived in Pompano! And of course pompano is also my favorite fish!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Old July 12, 2015   #143
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Are there any swaps/tastings near Orlando?
Old July 12, 2015   #144
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
Are there any swaps/tastings near Orlando?
I am not aware of any. Floridians don't seem to be as enthusiastic about these events, not sure why. The one time I had a tasting, it was in Plant City, near Tampa. Only 4 Tvillers came, and only about 20 people all together. Not cost effective for me since a hotel stay is required. Very sorry.

On the other hand, my swap takes place here in South Florida every October, last year over 100 people attended.
Old July 12, 2015   #145
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marsha. My son lives in Central FL and is currently growing his first garden. I'm trying to help, long distance. His growing conditions are so different from SW Ohio! It's way more than just zone differences! Just trying to get some connections to him. Sounds like you have a great group!

What tomatoes do the best for you?
Old July 12, 2015   #146
garden381
Tomatovillian™

UPDATE..my 'refrigerator' tomato which sprouted turned out to grow slow but-alas! what nice tomatos it has begun to produce.
They look just like the parent tomato,purchased in Publix supermarket but the taste is so very different.
the plant is indeterminate and currently stande at 6 feet. most growth in height has turned into fruit production! 22 fruits so far not counting the babies!.
the only thig i see as a MAJOR problem is that the stem is a very thin stem the width of 2 pencils!, will it be able to stand with fruit? will it make it in our high winds?or heavy rains coming this week?
Time will tell and then i'll tell you,until then...GARDEN381-mike