Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2008   #46
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Update on 'Large'
'Eder' is the word for large, bigger than 'goliam' which is used generally for big.
'Eder' is the word for large in the fruit and veg field.
For the linguists Eder(m), Edra(f) and Edro(n) Edri - pl.

Your variety, Carolyn, is probably 'Rosavi Edri' here but we will compare pics later in the year.
phreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008   #47
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Rosavi Edri sounds much like our Russian variety Rozovyi Gigant (Pink Giant)...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008   #48
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

We have both 'Edri' and 'Gigant' Andrey. I have not had the opportunity to get the second yet.

For 'un-named' fans I now have 'Penka' seed saved by the lady of this name given to a friend in the village thence to me. He rates the variety very highly.

More info at harvest time.
Old May 21, 2008   #49
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

BG Varieties Update.

What I called Cuban Destroyer is actually Cuban Hollyhocks. I had confused my ‘su’ as in pleasure with my ‘sh’ as in fish I expect that when I grow it I will find out if there in semblance to the ‘hollyhock’ as I know it.

Just bought 10 plants in the market. The seller says that his father died some years ago and these are seeds that he saved. They are kept in a jar and are still good.
Old May 21, 2008   #50
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Phreddy, I'm delighted to see that you've found several apparent family heirloom tyoes such as Penka and now the one you have 10 plants from.

Please keep me in mind in the Fall when you save seeds..
Old May 21, 2008   #51
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

You are first on the list Carolyn.
BTW saw Ideal on sale in packets.
Old June 6, 2008   #52
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Here is a bit more about Giant - Gigant. Saw this ad in a seedsman's window.

Words say Pink Large 'Gigant'

Just noticed the flower in the pic. Just above the fruit! Wonder if that gives a hint of the size?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rosov Eder 'Gigant'.JPG (113.9 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by phreddy; June 6, 2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Last line.
Old June 6, 2008   #53
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Would it serve any purpose to put up pics as the plants grow?
I will be putting up pics of the fruit as it ripens or if it looks different from others. I will also show cut fruits and all the other details that anyone finds interesting.

I had thought not. To my mind they all look the same and I seem to see the same five or six flowers or fruits per cluster.

Having said that the 'Bull's Heart' seems rather a thin stemmed plant.
Old August 3, 2008   #54
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Been some time since I posted here, little to report:
It has not been a good year for me with tomatoes. Lots of losses but having said that, since the season started we have had an abundance of the fruits.

First the successes:
Excellent tomato, Bivolsko Certse, Bulls Heart. I have put full details on Tania’s Information Site.

I also found another ‘Myona’ (I love that story). A neighbour gave us a couple of tomatos and when I asked the name was told that it came from Plovdiv but it was one that she saved year by year. This might turn out to be Plodiv Edre - large Plodiv. I have seen that but didn't buy it this year.

My Kubanska Rusha is coming along but I bought a kilo from the man that supplied the plants that I bought earlier. They are a pink beefsteak. OK but nothing to write home about. We made them into tomato and grapefruit marmalade. Excellent stuff, really bitter but sweet!!!

So... to date, it is the Bolvisco Certse that is my first choice from here.

Rosovi Certse seems to be an OK run of the mill sort.

Very 'pink' - a hunting pink for UK, maybe a light raspberry. Certainly not a weak red - have appeared. I have not been able to get a name yet

Last edited by phreddy; August 3, 2008 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling 4/10
Old August 3, 2008   #55
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Phreddy, I have, I thinnk, the same one from Andrey as Serdtse Buivola and it's supposed to be a pink heart. Is that what you're getting?

Bad rainy, cloudy season so far and fruits on all plants/varieties are small yet. I'll have to ask Freda who gardens for me if there are heart shaped fruits on that plant.

Good to see you posting again.
Old August 3, 2008   #56
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Phreddy, your Kubanska Rusha sounds very Russian-like ("Kubanskaya Roza" - a Rose from Kuban" in Russian)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2008   #57
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Phreddy, your Kubanska Rusha sounds very Russian-like ("Kubanskaya Roza" - a Rose from Kuban" in Russian)
Hi Andrey, would that be the Island of Cuba near USA?

The translation that I have here is Cuban Hollyhock.
The hollyhock grows wild here.

In the original Кубинска руша I may need to check that spelling again.
Old August 5, 2008   #58
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Phreddy, I have, I thinnk, the same one from Andrey as Serdtse Buivola and it's supposed to be a pink heart. Is that what you're getting?
I have looked at the garden again and notice that I have Rosavi Sertse coming ripe as well. This is also a 'Pink Heart' - direct translation. I have not tried it yet.

It has been a bad growing season for me also but it seems to be about water - we have had our usual hot summer. I have a new pump and will be getting an irrigation system ready for next year.
Old August 5, 2008   #59
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Bad rainy, cloudy season so far and fruits on all plants/varieties are small yet. I'll have to ask Freda who gardens for me if there are heart shaped fruits on that plant.
There are heart-shaped fruits on Serdtse Buivola here. There are none ripe or even starting to turn color yet though so no idea about the color.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2008   #60
phreddy
Tomatovillian™

I am wondering if this adoration of Bulgarian toms is warranted.
The only one that has impressed me is the Bull's Heart above. Everything else is only OK. I am not impressed by size. I am English and we like ours to be about 4 to the pound. I must check should check with my wife about that though.
Our neighbour's 'Plodivski' was also no big deal.

Having said all that, Roma is good but that is not Bulgarian is it. They do love it though for a plum type.

Bought something similar in the market. Much longer than Roma but with few seeds and dense flesh. The stall holder said that it was wonderful and might be ... gosh darnoodley, forgot the word, 'old-himers' checking in! Word is the opposite of heirloom! I leave it to you to figure out.